Monday, October 15, 2007

I FOUND A REAL GEM - His name is "Andrew Slaw" - He Likes Collecting

What a wonderful afternoon I had Sunday. It was spent with Andrew Shaw, a wonderful 15-year-old, and his mother, Anne.

How can I tell this story? It won’t be easy for me, and I’m not sure that I can keep a dry eye. You know God always has a way of bringing you back to earth when you least expect it. This is what has happened to me by meeting this wonderful and bright young man named, Andrew Slaw.

It all started so innocently when Andrew came to the Chicago Antique Market to have me appraise some of his things. But I promise you, it didn’t end there. After I had talked to Andrew for awhile, I could see that he was soaking up each word that came out of my mouth, and he wanted to hear more. The questions just seemed to pour from his lips in an unending stream. Each answer he received seemed to make his eyes glow brighter. After we talked for awhile, I asked his parents if, some day, he could come to my home with them and I would show him some of my son's collections. I also found out that Andrew was an avid garage sale and flea market person.

As he walked away from me, my eyes began to follow him on his trip through to rest of the market. Into this booth and out of that one seemed to be his pattern, often stopping to take a better look at an item in the many cases he passed.

I really didn’t expect to see him again, but to my surprise, I received a call from his mother asking if they could come by for a visit.How can you refuse a young man with so much spirit?

Staying on the phone for an extra few minutes, Anne shared with me that Andrew had spent a large percentage of his life in the hospital. She said that the ailment he suffers with is Familial Dysautonomia, and you can find more about it on line.

Our visit was scheduled for four o’clock Sunday afternoon and I couldn’t wait for the doorbell to ring. When it did ring, there stood Andrew with that wonderful smile, carrying a small wicker case.

We went to the kitchen and he began to take his prized possessions out for me to examine. There were the penny cards, hot wheels, wooden animals and a signed baseball. Each one had a special story behind it. I soon found out that Andrew knew his things better than I did. He had done his research and shared it with me.

I plan to spend many more hours with him while he teaches me about life and collecting. He happens to be our newest member of the 31 Club, and you better watch out or he will be the winner of our race.

Andrew left me with this quote " LIVE FOR THE MOMENT." After meeting him, I can assure you that this is permanently etched in my mind.

If you would be interested In supporting this cause you may call 847-913-0455.

Be sure to visit our web site for more information about how you can join the 31 Club and start your own race to your millions! Read more about it here!"The Guy in the Red Tie" --- Daryle Lambert

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message.

No comments:

Post a Comment