Tuesday, October 9, 2007

ADVENTUES IN ANTIQUING - Cecil Shares His Stories

It’s always great to hear the progress our members are making. We can all learn from the stories our members have to share. Today, I’d like to share what Cecil wrote to us.

"…I have made a few good sales and have made some great buys for future deals. Remember the Indian spear point that I bought for $5 and sold for $190? A couple of days later I sold 2 more artifacts to the same man for $290 and $125 for a total of $415. I had $100 in both pieces for a net profit of $315.

A few days later I sold two historical Pueblo Indian pots to another customer for $180 which I had $75 in for a net profit of $105. I also sold a painting that I had $150 in for $325.

I moved into a mall the 1st of September because my work schedule does not give me the time to sell on Ebay like I did before. The mall has high quality items and is located yards from an interstate interchange which results in increased customer traffic. However, rents and fees do reduce the net profit, but this is going to be true with almost all methods of selling your merchandise. With the above items, I now have $722.50 in my "Race" account which include the deductions for cost of merchandise and fees incurred in selling them. A $622.50 net profit on a $100 investment for ONE MONTH is a great return on ANY investment! Try getting a return like that in the stock market in one month! These sales have propelled me through Step 2 and only a few dollars from Step 3. Watch out Daryle and the "31 Team"; here I come!!

As I mentioned at the beginning, I have found some good buys, just today. As Daryle advises in his book, don't let the money sit in an account. Make it work for you. I put the profit above to use again today. At the mall where I am selling, a dealer brought in a rare Weller Pottery pedestal, which is half of a set which includes a jardiniere that sits on top of the pedestal. It had not been brought in yet when I was there just 6 days ago. I knew this piece had to be worth quite a bit more than the asking price. Of course I asked for and received a 10% discount. The total was $179.99. When I got home, I checked my Weller Pottery Price Guide and found that the complete pedestal and jardiniere set list for $1000 on the low side and $2000 on the high side. I bought this piece knowing someone out there needs the base to go with their jardiniere.

I stopped at another mall on the way back, and this time I found a Weller umbrella stand. However, on examination the piece was found to have a hairline which will reduce its value considerably. However, again I knew the piece was worth considerably more even with the damage. After the discount, the price was $62.10. The piece is listed at $750 - $1000 in the price guide. Even if I sell for $250 to $300, I have more than doubled my money and met Daryle's criteria. After I found the umbrella stand, I continued with my search in the same mall. In the very last booth in the layout of the mall before you would have to turn around, I saw what appeared to be 5 common milk glass tumblers. As I got closer, I noticed small detail in the surface which caught my attention enough to pick one up. To my surprise, I found the 5 "common" glasses where actually souvenir items from the 1904 St.Louis World's Fair and are extremely desirable to collectors. The price? $10 for all 5! At the time I thought they may list for $25 to $50 each. I checked when I got home and was surprised to find that they list for $150 each! If I sell for a third of that, I will still make a killing!

Needless to say, I had a good day in finding these treasures. However, I can't take the credit. I have been blessed! When you have been blessed you can look at a sunset and know who to thank!" CECIL

Be sure to visit our web site for more information about how you can join the 31 Club and start your own race to your millions! Read more about it here!"The Guy in the Red Tie" --- Daryle Lambert

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cecil, your message was music to my ears this morning. I've been educating myself thru books, plus those Daryle recommends, and '[picking his brain', as well... while continuing in my 'day job' which I love.

    I have a collectibles shop in an onlie mall with overhead and such, as you mentioned. But...I am now listing my 31club pieces with a code SA-1 (special account item number 1). That way, when the piece sells I will know the funds can't be touched and must go into the SPECIAL ACCOUNT for compounding. Perhaps I'll let it sit a bit, or maybe put it back to use right away... but ALL FOR THE SPECIAL ACCOUNT.

    What I loved about your story (from my novice point of view) is we can do this in baby steps! Each item doesn't have to be a rare $10,000 piece....though I know I am certainly working toward that eventually.

    With Blessings from Above, Time, PATIENCE and Ever-Growing Knowledge... WE, THE 31CLUB... will achieve these goals!

    This club is by far the most motivating and exciting group I have ever been a part of!!!!!

    Spread the word...

    ReplyDelete