Thursday, July 16, 2009

“When Is a Signature Valuable?” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – When it is Picasso's.


Picasso Print - Thanks to arts-wallpapers.com

Many times I have stated that the original works of an artist are what we as members of the Daryle Lambert Antique and Collectible Club wish to deal in but there are always exceptions. One of the rule breaking items would be anything that bears the original signature of Pablo Ruiz Picasso.

Because Picasso is so well known often people assume that any print or etching that is signed with his name is a fake or copy. This doesn't necessarily have to be true and I personally have owned a piece that was an original print signed by him that I bought as if it were a fake. It wasn't a million dollar piece but if I have been in our “Million Dollar Race“ back then I would have taken several steps forward. If you become a member of our Club you will understand the reference to the Race.

Yes there are thousands of fakes and fake signatures on the market bearing Picasso's signature but don't forget this is what gives us the advantage over others. We do our research before we purchase. There are books on the genuine prints and they can be found and purchased on Abe Books and Amazon. A supposed copy that proves to be the real thing can bring a huge smile to your face. I know that most of you have heard this before but it reminds me of when my friend Jim purchased what most thought was a print for $40 and soon sold it for over $22,000 because he knew it was the real thing.

Let's examine a few of Picasso's prints from Art Price. First let me tell you that most real prints bearing Picasso's signature will bring at least $1000 and most of them will fall into the $3000 to $8000 dollar range. Now for the names and descriptions of a few prints, Sans tite $2500 July 12, 2009, Tete de faune 1966 $10,000, Le crane de chevre 1952 $8000. Have I got your mouth watering yet? Well I am just beginning, so now to the big boys: Taune devorlant une femme de la Suite 1936 $42,252 and last but not least Buste de femme an chapeau a Pompons et au Corsage imprime 1962 $207,639. I hope that I spelled at least half of these correctly.

There are pages and pages of sales records and almost any of them would make me happy if I owned them. But being able to identify the real items is a must so do your research.

My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today!
Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment