Friday, July 24, 2009

“Perhaps Dolls are It” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – French – German – American.


What a beautiful Lady - Thanks to collectdolls,about.com


I have to make a confession. Yes, there are still buyers for the best pieces, but even then you have to find them in these markets. In fact, I have what I consider several choice paintings and pieces of pottery that I have offered in the market with no takers. If I can't evaluate items that will sell with my years of experience, I know that it is difficult for the new or beginning dealer. However, this isn't a time to quit, but rather a time to educate ourselves and buy the cream of the crop at below wholesale values. Just like the stock market, the prices of Antiques and Fine Art will rise again. It was only a short period of time ago that people were saying that art was dead, only to see it resurrected and obtaining record prices through the early 2000's.

There is one market, however, that hasn't even looked back and that is the Doll market. The desire for the better French, German and American dolls seems to be unquenchable. With prices for the better dolls starting in the thousands, and reaching the hundred of thousand of dollars, it is no wonder that sophisticated dealers spend time educating themselves in the field of this collectible.

The collectors seem to never tire of adding French dolls to their collections. Here are a few of the French names in dolls: Kestner, Armand Marseille, Simon and Holbig. These name should become household names for you. But not to be outdone, here are the German names to watch for: Bru, Gaultier, Rohm and Huret. Just writing these names make me think of money. We shouldn't forget our Barbies with the 1959 selling at over $20,000. There are also other American dolls that can fetch a pretty penny. But that can't compare with dolls that sell for millions of dollars and there are those.

I know a lady here in Chicago that advertises for dolls in the local paper and this is her specialty. The best I can figure she must doing very well, because at the sales I see her attend there is always a big expensive Mercedes parked near the house and I see her get out of the driver's side. The truth of the matter is that few dealers really know the doll market and this would be one area of collecting that you should consider. Best of all, dolls never seems to decline in value and in fact I saw as I researched for this blog where a mechanized doll was valued over $6,000,000. Where can I find one of those so that I can stop staying up all night writing about them?

The doll market is such that if you find a great one you will never have trouble placing it. I wish it were so with other items that I have accumulated over the last 6 months. Their time will come but not soon enough for me. Like I have told you, my wish is to buy and then as quickly as I can reap my profits, but this market has slowed the pace of that a little. Dolls- Dolls- Dolls, these little ladies won't let you down.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today!
Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment