Wednesday, July 1, 2009

“The Webb Can Be Important” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – To not only spiders if it has the extra "B"


Thomas Webb - Thanks to www.antiquecoloureglass.info

I have been extremely fortunate to meet some of the most successful glass collectors in America. One of these gentlemen is Warner's and my friend from Virginia. By the way if you don't know, Warner is the founder of the Art Glass Clubs. Our mutual friend has educated me to the true beauty of cameo glass and one of his favorites is Thomas Webb and Sons Cameo. These pieces when found will have the collectors at your door.


Thomas Webb started his company in the mid 1800's and soon included his sons. His idea was to collect the best craftsmen and incorporate them into a group effort. Most of the Webb pieces had more than one artist working on them so it is hard to say that any one piece was by a particular person. However, if you find a piece that is signed with any combination of the name Woodall on it, then you have a real treasure because George Woodall while working for Thomas Webb was perhaps one of the greatest glass artists of all times. Remember that many of the Webb pieces are unsigned but the quality of the workmanship is undeniable.


The beauty of the glass produced out of the Webb Company is almost indescribable. Often one piece can have as many as four or more layers of glass, each one being a different color. When these layers are carved the results are mind boggling. Usually the themes for these pieces are floral and sometimes animals. There is no way an Art Glass collector can say he has a complete collection of glass without a Thomas Webb piece included. I have written a past blog on Thomas Webb's Glass with all the historical information in it so I won't duplicate that but I will share with you where to see that information if you haven't already. The book that I would recommend is Victor Arwas – Glass Art Nouveau to Art Deco. You may find this book on Abe books or Amazon.


Just one example of this magnificent glass can be found in the sales catalog of the Early's April 2009 sale. It is lot #380 on page 66 of the catalog. This 5 ½ inch vase is acid signed Thomas Webb and Sons Cameo and is made up of four layers and three colors red, white and blue. The subject matter of the vase is a floral scene that contains a bird. The estimate was $10,000 - $15,000. That is a lot of money if you count it by the inch.


I would like to find one of these pieces but I have to admit if I did it would be hard to part with. But remember my rule. I would put a price on it but someone might think my price was very pricey if you get my meaning.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

1 comment: