Saturday, March 7, 2009

“George Tinsworth, A Name From the Past” - Daryle Lambert


Photo of George Tinsworth Figurine - Thanks to www.royaldoultonantiques.com


I would be surprised if most of you knew of George Tinsworth, but why should you? He was an illiterate son of a Walworth wheelwright in England. But God has gifted each of us with talents that can only be credited to him, and so it was with George. He lived from 1866 to 1913, a life that was cut short, but what he accomplished in those years will not be forgotten by the ones that admire his work.

Attending the Lambeth School of Art and being noticed by Henry Doulton for his talent, he became one of the first students to work at the Doulton Lambeth factories. Perhaps the greatest of all the Doulton Lambeth artists, people were drawn to his religious themes as well as his humorous animal figurines.

Here is a story for you. I was shopping in a store and saw this interesting figurine of several mice playing instruments. Since it caught my eye, I asked the price and was surprised when told it would cost me $600. I had to know more so I asked why so much, “It is by George Tinsworth”, came the reply, as if I would know that name. It was cute and all but I still thought I would pass on it but when I returned home I couldn't get it out of my head, so off to research it I went. I soon discovered that I wanted to know more about Mr. Tinsworth and planned to go the next morning as early as the store opened to purchase those little mice, I hoped.

Up bright and early with a knot in my throat, I hurried to the store and almost afraid to look, I hurried to where the little figurine sat. Hurray! It was still there and, without discussion, I offered $500 which was accepted. From my research, I had found that the piece was worth at least $2500. From that day forward, I have continually searched for pieces of Mr. Tinsworth that had young children, kangaroos, mice, pigs or frogs in them. I can assure you that any of his pieces you find that have more than one character will bring in the thousands. Here is the amazing thing. They are usually only 5 or 6 inches and 3 to 4 inches high. If they sell by the inch they would be right up their with the greatest paintings you are likely to find.

Remember that name, George Tinsworth, because his pieces are like money in the bank. There perhaps was never a greater pottery artist than Mr. Tinsworth and just think what the world would have lost if someone hadn't discovered his talent.



My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Us Today!

Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here


No comments:

Post a Comment