Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rookwood – Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog - Are you sure?


Matthew Daly Rookwood Artist


I have continued my love of Rookwood pottery, Tiffany Glass and Galle Art Glass for many years. Most of that time has been spent accumulating knowledge of the products of companies like these. In my career as an antique and fine art dealer, I thought that time spent on quality and rarity would be the best use of my time.

To my surprise, however, there was much more to learn about these companies and their products than I ever imagined. Let's take Tiffany for example. I didn't know that this company made furniture and pottery as well as the items that everyone recognizes as Tiffany. Here is another loop in the circle. Louis Comfort Tiffany was also a painter and on occasion you may find a work by him. Always be on watch for the Tiffany name but also for his logo, LCT. The Tiffany company will always be known for the beautiful glass they produced but paintings, metal works and pottery will always bring a pretty penny if they bear the Tiffany name.

Would you be amazed to find out that Galle, one of my favorite companies, made furniture and pottery? Most people would not. This is the reason that I encourage my readers to examine anything they come across before discarding it as a worthless item.

There is another way that by following my suggestion you may increase your bank account. True artists may have worked for several companies during their careers. For example many of the Rookwood artists served tenures with as many as five different companies. You may run across a pottery vase that has a mark other than Rookwood on it but the name of one of Rookwood's artists. Many dealers wouldn't pick up on that but if you do it is like money in the bank. Here are just a few of the Rookwood artists that worked for other potteries: Artus Van Briggle, Matthew Daly, E.T. Hurley and Albert Valentien.

Now for the reason I am writing this blog. Rookwood, as far as I know, didn't produce anything other than pottery but their artists did. For example, many of the artists at Rookwood also painted and their paintings can bring in a fair amount of money. To see what I mean, there is a painting by one of the leading artists at Rookwood, Matthew Daly, in the Cincinnati sale and I will be bidding on it. You see, even though it is totally different from his pottery pieces, I am interested because it is a cowboy scene and would look great on my wall until someone made me an offer that I couldn't resist.

If you would like to see other pieces in this auction go to Cincinnati Art Galleries. Your knowledge will set you free.


I hope that in the future we will be able to receive comments on the blog but that doesn't seem to be happening at the present time. I would appreciate if you would send all comment to www.31corp.com until I can solve this problem.



My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today!


No comments:

Post a Comment