Saturday, October 17, 2009

Peter Voulkos – Daryle Lambert’s Antique and Collectible Blog – Second Try.

Peter Vouklos - Thanks to www.frankloyd.com

I am having more fun than a person should be entitled to as I search for new faces that I can present to the Daryle Lambert’s Antique and Collectibles club members. I never thought that there were so many great artists working in pottery that I wasn’t familiar with.

I am sure that this information on these artists has been kept secret by the ones in the know because there is a great deal of money to be made by finding works by these artists. The latest find that I have made is Peter Voulkos who was born in 1924 in Bozeman, Montana and died in 2002 in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Mr. Voulkos had a long and distinguished career which included teaching at some of this country’s most outstanding colleges and universities from 1952 -1985. He taught at Black Mountain College in North Carolina, The University of Montana and The University of California before retiring in 1985. To his credit, he was awarded so many honors that I can’t list them all here in the blog but his last honor was the Visionaria Award in 2002. This was presented to him by the American Craft Museum in New York. You may find more facts about Peter Vouklos at this site.
Peter Vouklos


I am still trying to figure out what makes an artist special because when I see the works of George Ohr, Toshiko Takaezu and now Peter Vouklos it will take more time and study before I can appreciate their quality but I am working on it. Someone must have already figured it out however, because of the price achieved at auction for their works are amazing.

Peter Voulkos wasn’t only accomplished with pottery but also paintings and bronzes.
In fact, the most expensive piece of Voulkos’s work was a painting called “Passing Red” that sold at Butterfield’s in 2008 for $108,000. His next highest listing was for a stoneware sculpture created in 1956 that brought $85,000 at Wright’s auction in Chicago in 2005. The list goes on - ceramic sculpture at Christie’s “Big Snake River” in 1990 for $55,000. “Stack”, a stoneware sculpture, sold at Sotheby’s in 2005 for $51,000.

These prices make me hunger for the opportunity to own one or more of Vouklos’s works and they may be at the next garage or house sale I attend. Could one be waiting for you? To find out if there is a work by Vouklos with your name on it requires getting out of the house which I am sure you are doing. So it is just a matter of time before one of these treasures come your way.





I hope that in the future we will be able to receive comments on the blog but that doesn't seem to be happening at the present time. I would appreciate if you would send all comment to www.31corp.com until I can solve this problem.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today!










No comments:

Post a Comment