Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Daryle Lambert - Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Rainbow



These aren't Christmas colors, but if you commit these colors to memory, you might find a large present in your Christmas stocking. I'm talking about Spatterware. This is a soft paste dinnerware that originated in the late eighteenth century. While Spatterware is still being produced today, the early pieces were made in the Staffordshire district of England. And wouldn't you know it, colors can count when you are buying Antique Spatterware. In this instance, it can mean the difference between a few hundred dollars and thousands upon thousands.

Often, you will find these pieces decorated with flowers or rainbow patterns. Usually, he more colors a piece has the more valuable it will be. Sometimes there will be animals on it. The name "spatterware" comes from the effect that looks as if the paint was spattered on the piece.

My first introduction to Spatterware was at a farm auction in southern Indiana. At farm sales in the South, everything that is to be sold that day is brought outside and displayed on tables or wagons for the customer to examine. As I was meandering among the tables full of small offerings, I came to a wagon loaded to the top with dinnerware. Nothing looked very interesting to me, but I did take notice of some pieces that had, what looked like, painted flowers on them with spattered paint surrounding the flowers.

I thought if I could pick up a few pieces of this dinnerware, perhaps a tea pot or a couple of cups and saucers for a few dollars, I would use them as decoration in my house. As the auctioneer got closer to the wagon, I noticed people shoving in, trying to get closer to where the auctioneer was standing. "What can this be all about," I thought to myself.

When the auctioneer held up the teapot and began to chant, "Do I have one hundred?" I thought he had lost his mind. And then he kept on chanting. "Yes, I have one hundred, do I have two? I will take your bid at at five hundred, do I hear six? Yes, how about one thousand, yes I hear three, yes I do have four thousand. By this time, I was looking around to see if they could possibly be selling the house. But,no, it was just the teapot. And it finished at over $5,000.

You betcha, from that day on this southern boy started to look for this funny looking dinnerware with its strange looking hand painted flowers. In fact just this week in the Maine Antique Digest, I saw a creamer, just three and one half inches tall, that sold at Pook and Pook Auction for $7,605. Imagine that!

And, there are pieces selling for much higher than that. Wondering about today's picture? This plate sold through Conestoga Auction Company, setting a new world record for Spatterware. You might want to be sitting down for this one, though. That plate sold for a whopping $37,400. I linked it to the auction house page because it's so unbelievable. But, who knows what prompts someone to make a purchase like that. It just might have completed an entire set they picked up for an extremely reasonable price making this buy, all worthwhile.

Be sure to find some books that give examples of the old patterns. Then, if you run across this older Spatterware you can say, "Make my day." You see, most people will be like I was, thinking that you should be able to buy these pieces for a few dollars. Are they in for a shock.

Be sure to visit our web site for more information about how you can join the 31 Club Wealth Building and start your own race to your millions! Read more about it here!"The Guy in the Red Tie" --- Daryle Lambert

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the 31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your piece to us. No high fees when you sell with us. Just contact us here.

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message

No comments:

Post a Comment