Monday, November 19, 2007

Daryle Lambert - Has His Eye on Van Briggle Pottery



One of my first loves is American Art Pottery. It was easy to fall in love with the beauty of Rookwood Pottery, because these fantastic pieces were made in Cincinnati Ohio, only about two hours from my Kentucky Home. The same can be said for Roseville Pottery, because it, too, was made in Ohio. But how I got interested in Van Briggle Pottery, made in Colorado, makes for a good story. This will show you that studying and researching one thing might just lead you down a very different path from the one you thought you were traveling upon.

I was quickly becoming a serious Rookwood collector a few years back, studying everything I could get my hands on that mentioned Rookwood. One day, I came across the name of Artus Van Briggle listed as an artist for the Rookwood Pottery Company. I decided I should add a couple of his pieces to my collection. So, off I went like a old bird dog trying to track that special piece I had decided was waiting for me to discover.

Having very little luck finding a Van Briggle piece over the next several months, I went back to my books. I wanted to figure out why I was having so little success in my search. I soon found that Van Briggle started with Rookwood in 1887 but stayed there for a very short time before moving on to several other companies. For reasons of poor health, he returned to Cincinnati in 1897 and worked for Rookwood another three years before starting his own company in 1901. Because he was actually only at Roodwood for a few years, his production there was limited. Now I had my answer for why it was so difficult to find pieces of his work at Rookwood.

He never fully recovered his health, so instead of beginning his new business in Ohio, he traveled to Colorado where he set up shop. Within four years, Artus Van Briggle died. After I found out more of his history, I made the decision to see if I could find some of his earlier pieces for my collection rather than his Rookwood pots. You see what I mean? You can never guess where this business is going to lead you.

I was much more successful in finding the Van Briggle pieces than I was the Rookwood. I soon realized that if I was going to collect Van Briggle, it had to be pieces that were made while he was living.

The difference in price for pieces made in the three years he actually worked at his factory and the later pieces was astonishing to me. I'll give you some examples. A piece made by the Van Briggle Pottery Co. after 1930 may bring less than one hundred dollars. But a piece made from 1910 to 1930 can fetch up to seven or eight thousand dollars. This was the period of time his wife, Ann, continued running the factory. But are you ready for this? A piece made by his factory while he was living, from 1901-1904, could bring $30,000 to $50,000! In fact, the piece shown in today's photo sold at auction in March of 2007 for $42,000 through Craftsman Auctions.

The mark on most Van Briggle is two capital A’s side by side. There is a wonderful book printed on Van Briggle called, Colorado Pottery by Carol and Jim Carlton. If you find it, be sure to add one to your library. You can check for used books through our Amazon Link right from our recommended reading list page.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the 31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got an Erte Bronze, Lotton Glass, and many many more high quality items priced reasonably with no buyer's premiums. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your piece to us. No high fees selling with us.

Be sure to visit our web site for more information about how you can join the 31 Club Wealth Building and start your own race to your millions! Read more about it here!"The Guy in the Red Tie" --- Daryle Lambert

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message.

No comments:

Post a Comment