Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pied Piper of Hamelin – Daryle Lambert's Antiques and Collectibles Blog – I like that book




 Pied Piper

Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks and I am living proof of that. I have to admit I have been rather set in my ways but this economy is changing me a little. In the past, as the book dealers were pushing and shoving to get to the books at all the sales I attended, I didn't give them a second look. However, that all might be changing because with the purchase of the boys books, all 140 of them, I decided to look at some of the older books that I have accumulated over the years.

Here is what I found. First, the Pied Piper of Hamelin that I just listed in our Classifieds. It is number 27 of 100 printed. It was written by Robert Browning and when I went to www.abebooks.com, I realized it was special. This book came my way when a young man whom I had purchased things from before knocked on my door. He usually brought several items at a time and I would purchase them all to help. This particular time, he had the Pied Piper book. I may have given $50 for it but it is now priced on our site at $500. If it were in mint condition, that number could be 5 times that.

Now my interest started to grow and I unpacked another box of books. One of the first I found was called Red Men and White by Owen Wister in 1896. Back to Abe Books I went and it is now listed for $200. I was really on a roll so then I listed The Last of the Mohicans, 1935, by James Fenimore Cooper for $400 and on it went. Now I totaled all the books that I have listed and the total is approaching $2000 and I have just started.

Even though in school my teachers could never get me to read my books, I think that I may have found my next best and greatest things, books. Please don't tell anyone that knows me that fact because I am afraid they would just laugh. Here is a great tip for you. When dealing in books, the shipping is no problem because books are shipped media mail. In my case, the 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques and Collectibles ships for only $2.77. This makes it rather simple to trade in books.

If you have visited the Classifieds recently, you know that we are on our way and the people will come. Bob is going to change the way we present the Classifieds and it will knock your socks off when you see it. By helping yourself by listing in the classifieds, you will also be helping the Club because the more listings we have, the greater following we will get. 


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques and collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club. Join Us Today

No comments:

Post a Comment