Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Biscuit or Cracker Jars – Daryle Lambert's Antiques and Collectibles Blog - Can be Bargains


This notice is for those of you who link to our blog through blogspot. On August 1, the new blogs will no longer appear on blogspot but only on the www.darylelambert.com site. We are giving over a month’s notice so that all of our readers will continue to receive the blog by linking to the home page. Blogspot will keep the old blogs, but after the first, they will not receive the new ones.




I remember when I would stay at Granny's house, she always had this wonderful little jar that she would keep her change in. I didn't know at the time you called them biscuit jars, but that didn't matter back then. It really didn't fit in with the other items in Granny's house, because it was pink and had little flowers on it while everything else was quite plain.


So today, when I see these little jars, I always try to buy them and often they turn out to be real little gems. The first jar that I bought was at a garage sale in Kentucky and I believe the price was $20. It was pink and yellow with a pewter top and the design reminded me of Granny's. It had little blue flowers all over it. So even though I thought that the price was a little rich, I still wanted it. This was when I first started trying to make money from the antique business, so I took it to a dealer and you could have blown me away when he offered me $500 for it. Latter he told me it was a Mount Washington jar and worth somewhere north of $1000.

My desire to purchase these jars hasn't ceased and I just purchased two within the last few weeks. You can see them in the classifieds. They were included in a large group of glass and I figure they cost me about $15 each. I have priced them very reasonably because I would like for them to find a new home where they will be appreciated. I always like to buy the jars with the enameled painting on them because of my love for items of quality and I find enameling very appealing. These little jars can become very expensive and don't be surprised to see some priced in the thousands. 

The history of the biscuit jar is quite interesting. In the United Kingdom they are biscuit jars but in America they are called cookie jars. The biscuit jar started in England in the 18th century but they didn't really get popular here in America until around the great depression of 1929. Their purpose was to hold almost any small object such as cookies, candy, dog treats and yes, even currency. 



Once the biscuit jars are in the hands of the dealers it is too late for us, so these items most often must be purchased a garage sales or on private appointments. It is difficult to go wrong buying these jars under $50 and, unless they are damaged, they should treat you very well when sold.

My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques and collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club. Join Us Today

No comments:

Post a Comment