Saturday, November 7, 2009

Toys for the Future – Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectibles Blog – Things will be different.


How Many Times Around My Livingroom Did I Push This Train?

Thanks to Kids.lovetoknow.com


I was watching my son, Joshua, playing and realized that he has no interest in toys as I would define them. Ipods, computers and game boys seem to be his forms of entertainment. There seems to be a movement away from conventional toys. The technology age is upon us and I'm not sure I am ready for that.

However, with fewer toys coming to the market that have any collector value, the ones of past years will do nothing but go up in value. We all know that the Japanese tin windup toys have values that go through the roof, but recent toys, meaning ones from the 50's and 60's, soon may find their value not far behind those of the 30's and 40's. Remember that collectors search out items they remember from their youth and folks in their fifties can still remember when boys played with fire trucks and girls played with dolls. Here is how you decide if something is going to become a collectible. Was it a "have to have" when it was produced? For instance, anything to do with the Beatles was a "have to have" item when the Beatles were hot so now people are ready to shell out serious money to own these pieces again. What was hot when you were younger? This is what you should be searching for at house and garage sales. I remember when a Goofy figurine sold for over $1200. When new I am sure it could have been purchased for $2.00.

The great thing about buying toys for resale is that the market is always searching for examples of great toys. I am amazed when the results of toy auctions are listed in Antique Week and Antique Trader, with examples bringing up to $100,000 and many in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. Seldom will you purchase a toy that won't double your money when it is sold, and they are plentiful at every sale you attend.

There have been many toy guides produced and you should have more than one in your library. These can be purchased for just a few dollars on eBay, Amazon and Abebooks. If they are a year or two old, it really doesn't matter. Toys would be in my top ten list for achieving success and gaining knowledge in this field will pay you back in spades. Cast iron, hard rubber and tin toys are still the most expensive but plastic in on the rise when it comes to toys. Be a child again and have fun and make money with toys of your past.

I hope that in the future we will be able to receive comments on the blog but that doesn't seem to be happening at the present time. I would appreciate if you would send all comment to www.31corp.com until I can solve this problem.



My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today



No comments:

Post a Comment