Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hub Caps – Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectibles Blog – Do You remember those Spinners?


Let the Fun start now - Thanks to Flicker.com

I remember my first car, a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air two door hardtop. Being a junior in high school and driving this car to school, at that time was the greatest thing in my life. In fact I was one of the few students that had a car back then and after taking hand me downs all my life, I felt rather special. Dad had done very well in the oil fields around our area and for the first time in my life I felt equal to the other kids that I ran around with.

Owning a car was great but only if you had the right hub caps. That is what really set your car apart from others. I
had worked during the summers and also saved a few dollars from my paper route so once I had the car, it was only logical that I had to buy the most expensive spinners on the market. It seemed that few of my friends wanted to talk about my car but those spinner hub caps were the talk of the school.

Why do I share this story with you? Well, it seems that the hub caps still in one sense make the car. I am amazed by those caps that seem to keep spinning after the car stops. Have you seen them? If you have, I am sure that as you watched them spin you asked, "How do they do that?" Now, to show you how to make money with this information.

I have attended several garage and house sales where in the garage, stored in boxes or hanging on the wall, were sets of hub caps. These usually were the original caps that had been replaced by fancier ones by the owner, like me when I bought my spinners. Guess what? These sets of caps can bring plenty of money because car collectors are looking for them as they restore their vintage cars.

If you go to a car meet, you will find that sets of vintage hub caps can bring from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. Perhaps the worst place to sell hub caps is eBay, but I will share with you just a few prices from past sales there. Do you own a 1956 or '57 Lincoln Mark 11 that needs four new caps? Then $2000 will be your cost. Or perhaps it is the 1963 Buick Riviera spinners you're looking for at $1700. As you can see, the owners of special cars are willing to spend lots of money to dress them up. Here are four more examples: 1970 Ford Mustang $1195, 1970 Chevy Camaro wires $1000, 1979 Cadillac Eldorado wires $800 and last but not least 1958 Chevy Impala $545.

There is gold in those caps so keep a sharp eye out for them. A complete set of four caps usually will bring far more money but if the cap you find is rare enough even a single will pad your pocket.


I hope that in the future we will be able to receive comments on the blog but that doesn't seem to be happening at the present time. I would appreciate if you would send all comment to www.31corp.com until I can solve this problem.



My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today


2 comments:

  1. We have found an old hubcap that we'd like help identifying. It's 4" diameter, threaded and has an old English style "C" on it. Any ideas? Thanks, Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hub Cap with the C could have been Chrysler. I would need a picture to make sure.

    Daryle

    ReplyDelete