Sunday, February 1, 2009

Daryle Lambert: The Sound that means Money


Thanks to Flicker


This blog takes me back in time to when I stayed with my grandparents in Louisville, Kentucky. They lived in town and not on a farm like my dad's parents. Each night as I prepared to go to sleep, their clock would start chiming. In fact, I believe that I spent many sleepless nights because of it. I never really understood the reason for clocks that chime hourly but that's okay too. Today these clocks are in much demand by collectors and I think it might be because of the aggravation that they caused many years before.

These early clocks came in all sizes and were made by many companies. Here is a short list of companies: Ansonia, Glibert, Golay Fils & Stahl, Howard, Ingraham, Ithaca, Nelson and Seth Thomas. There are many more and if you wish there are books and price guide just on clocks. I wouldn't have space in one blog to cover all the types of clocks but the mantel clock is often favored by collectors.

The reason you may want to keep an eye out for mantel clocks is that the prices can vary greatly giving you a real chance to make money. I have purchased clocks for as little as $25 but then I have also paid $400. It is very important when buying clocks that they are complete with weights and the original works. Also, be sure the face is original. I have found that the sellers of clocks can't tell a $5,000 clock from one valued at $100. Yes, you can understand that because they do look alike but that is where your knowledge comes into play. It is easy to research clocks because of the many books that have been written on them. Your library will have great reference material on clocks. But let's get down to the nitty gritty! What can I expect to get for the clocks I find?

Here are a few examples: Desssille Louis XVI, marble, bronze, Paris, 25 inches $7,500, enameled dial,count wheel, roman warriors, bun feet, 16 inches $10,000. I could list many more but it would be easier if you checked Kovel's price guide. You will find at least forty percent of the clocks shown at prices exceeding $2,000. Finding one of these at $100 or less couldl prove to be a real treasure for you.

I have one clock that I paid less than one hundred dollars for that I would have to think long and hard about accepting $5,000 for it. Don't tempt me however, because I might just have to accept your offer. One reason I really like these clocks is that they fall under my personal rule of being no larger than a bread box.

While I do have some of these clocks in my house; I never wind them so that they won't chime. Too memories of lost sleep.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Today!

Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment