Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"New Treasure for You" - Daryle Lambert – E. Radford Pottery.


Edward Radford Vases


I have found that this business of Antiques and Collectibles never gets dull. About the time I feel comfortable that I know most of what I want to search for in my quest for treasure, up springs a surprise. This happened this weekend at a house sale.

Getting there late about 12:00 I encountered something totally new for me. They had closed the sale for 15 minutes and then it was going to reopen with all sales at ½ price. The people standing in line were as surprised as me because they had never heard of this practice either. In fact some in the line got rather irritated. I decided to try it even though my patience was thin at the time.

Entering the home I found very little of interest, as I had expected, but there by the cashier was a vase that looked like Weller or Roseville if you were comparing the vase to a piece of American pottery. It was about 9 “ high and 4 “ across with a floral decoration across its middle. I couldn't stop myself from picking it up since the tag read $32 and now it would cost only $16. Turning it over to expose the bottom I found something that I hadn't expected. The mark read E. Radford England printed in blue with a very distinctive appearance. I was in a quandary. Should I or shouldn't I purchase it for the $16, since I knew nothing about it? Not buying it won out and later I found out what a mistake I had made. This vase could very easily been worth $300 to $500.

I believe you know the practice by now. When I don't know something I usually call Warner or Cecil. This time, because it was pottery, I called Cecil and sure enough he had the answer, "Radford Pottery made in Ohio". Yes there is a Radford pottery in Ohio but not the E. Radford Pottery that made this vase. I can't recall when Cecil was wrong before. But this time he was, so I began to research on my own and here is the result.

Edward Radford Jr. was the son of Edward Radford Sr. from England. Senior worked for Wedgwood and Pilkington potteries. His son was born in 1883 and joined him at Pilkington in 1905. After the war around 1930, the son formed the Radford Handcraft Pottery which is the company that I am telling our members of the 31 Club to keep their eye out for. He primarily made hand thrown vases, jugs and bowls in a matte finish. Most of his production was floral but he also made some very rare scenic pieces with trees. He died in 1965.

Rather than trying to tell you about all of his production, I found a site that I would like to direct you to E. Radford pottery. Be sure to spend some time on this site and familiarize yourself with Mr. Radford's work. The rarer pieces can be rewarding to the finder.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today!
Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment