Saturday, December 5, 2009

Birds – Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectibles Blog – Is It Time to Fly South?


Picasso


Yesterday, as I sat at the computer and watched the snow fall, I began to think about geese in their patterns heading south. Then I realized that I had never written a blog on birds and I asked myself, why not? Items that represent birds or images of birds command tremendously high prices and you can capitalize on this if you are aware of where the real values are.

I believe that I could write several blogs on birds and still not fully share with you all the opportunities there are to make money with our feathered friends. It seems that people are fascinated with something that can fly without the use of a motor, and maybe just a little jealous. I am sure you have seen those old movies where men tried to create something that would allow them to fly and all the crashes that occurred that make us laugh.

It is difficult to begin a list of bird items for you to search for because there are so many of them that will truly add large amounts of money to your bank account. I have seen antique flow blue turkey platters sell for thousands of dollars and Picasso pottery plates and plaques featuring birds sell for over $20,000. Boehm and Doughty figurines of birds are often kept in bank vaults because people, fearing they might get damaged, think they are too valuable to display. What a shame. I hope that I never have something beautiful that I can't share with others by displaying it.


If you like more primitive items featuring birds, you have to go no further than the stoneware jugs and crocks. The ones with birds on them have sold for over $50,000 dollars. Perhaps the most expensive collectibles in today’s markets are duck decoys which often sell for over $100,000,000. Now I would call that some serious birds, wouldn't you?

Where should I go next? Maybe jewelry or silver and gold music boxes with those little feathered friends tweeting their heads off that sell for $5000 and up. If that isn't your cup of tea, how about paintings like the one my friend in Florida bought for $25 and later sold at Christie's for $675,000. It was a painting of hummingbirds by Heade called Hummingbirds and Orchids.

I have just touched the surface when it comes to bird collectibles and maybe I will continue this theme for a few blogs by featuring different classes of bird collectibles where I give more time to items that you may run across.

It may seem to you that I am always talking about treasures that you feel will never come your way but let me tell you something. There are people finding those items every day and why shouldn't you be one of them? There is a story that hopefully I will be able to share in the near future about a friend of mine who found an item for just a few dollars that well may be worth hundreds of thousands. We should all keep our fingers crossed for him. It would be easy to write about the more common items but keep in mind that our goal is to discover the rare and unusual that others don't recognize.

Don't forget that birds can be your friends. I like that old saying “Birds of a feather flock together”, and I hope that is what we are doing, flocking together for success.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the 31 Club. Join Us Today
www.darylelambert.com


No comments:

Post a Comment