Thursday, April 9, 2009

“It Can Come Down to Who Knows You “ - Daryle Lambert - Stories about “Art – Antiques - Collectibles”


Networking - Photo thanks to www.spiritsgifts.com

Do you let the conductors of the house and garage sales you attend know what you are looking for? Do you inform them that you have become knowledgeable in certain areas, so that if they need information for their sales you will be called? If this happens to you, then who will know first that a certain item is coming up for sale? Bingo! I know you are saying what an idea. Does every antique shop, consignment shop and antique mall within 50 miles of your home have you listed as a go to person on certain treasures they run across? If not, why not? How many of your cards do you pass out each week? If it isn't 100 or more then it isn't enough.

Your question may be, that’s a lot of work, so how do I know it will pay off for me? Remember the Rabby painting that William purchased for under $50 that now is listed in the 31 Gallery for $3500. Well today we received a call from a gentleman that has three Rabby paintings and wondered if we would be interested in them? How do you think he got the idea that there might be interest on our part? Correct. He knew about the other painting we had purchased and at that time he was given our telephone number. Can you hear the cash register ringing? And, we more than likely will pay him more than anyone else for his pieces.

I also received a call from a lady wondering if I was still interested in Harvey Joiner painting? As you are aware this artist is one that I personally love and I try to tell everyone that will listen to inform me of any they see. Well a friend of the lady saw this Joiner painting in her home and merrily stated that she knew someone that would be interested in it if were ever for sale. My number was passed to her and the rest is history. I haven't purchased the painting yet but I am working on it. How did the lady know to tell her friend about my interest? This is the part you won't believe. I started up a conversation with her in a line at one of the house sales I attended and gave her a list of what I buy on the back of one of my cards. That was easy wasn't it? That might be the best penny or two that I have ever spent.

Soon you will find as I have that if I tell enough people about my business the treasures will come to me. I just had a gentleman in my house last night who, when I shared what my profession is, asked about a desk that he owns. You see it was passed down through his family and had been the possession of a Governor of Massachusetts in the late 1700's. Now I ask you, what could that be worth? I never put my work to sleep and most people who know me are given a quick study in the antique and art business. You will find that this is greatly rewarding in this business.

Before I sign off on this blog, I would be remiss if I didn't share one more story with you. Again attending a sale, I passed out one of my cards to a lady and asked her to call me if I could ever help. Sitting at my desk one day the phone rang and a very pleasant voice on the other end of the phone asked if I remembered her. Not wanting to be impolite I said that I wasn't sure. Well, she said “I talked to you about five years ago. At the time I wasn't ready to sell my antiques, but things have changed for me. Are you still in the business?” she asked. I was so startled that I had to think if I was or not. After assuring her that I was, we got together and over a period of months that card that I had passed out over five years ago made a year’s worth of profit for me. I am now 68 so if there is anyone else waiting to call me, please don't wait much longer. I have to laugh at that one myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment