Wednesday, April 15, 2009

“Dale Chihuly, Dean of Glass” - Daryle Lambert - The Master Artist


Art from the Master Chihuly - Thanks to www.flicker.com


I have been using Bonnie Miller's book “Out of the Fire” for my last couple of blogs. It highlights many of the artists that made up the Puget Sound Art Glass community and perhaps some of the most beautiful Art Glass ever produced. I have to admit that I wasn't familiar with most of the artists highlighted but Dale Chihuly was a name I knew well.

I have purchased several pieces produced by him and I have never had to sit around waiting for buyers. As soon as I advertised that I owned a piece by Chihuly the buyers came running. The profit realized on these pieces made me want to discover more of Mr. Chihuly's works.

Chihuly takes pride in the fact that he often works with a team, composed of as many as fourteen people working together in unison on a single piece. He is like the conductor and often is still drawing the designs as the team is forming the piece. His pieces tend to be larger than the average piece of art glass, and today he is even making large architectural pieces.

Often Chihuly's pieces are almost paper thin with many swirls and patterns that accentuate the vivid colors that he incorporates in most of his pieces. If you aren't acquainted with his work you are missing out on seeing the work of a true master. His work doesn't come cheap but who knows when you may run upon a piece that is priced where you can make several steps in the “Million Dollar Race” from its sale. Remember our goal is to advance to the more expensive items as soon as our knowledge and money allow. Here is a great biography on Mr. Dale Chihuly.

I will cover two more artists from Bonnie Miller’s book and then we will go on to other areas of the antique and collectible business. This adventure that we are undertaking together is just beginning and the exciting finds that are just in front of us will be unveiled in the near future. I am so encouraged by the questions that I receive each day that show that the message of the 31 Club is being well received.

Just this week one of the members sent an email after purchasing a group of ink pens for just a few dollars. One was worth $250. Here is his note.

Daryle, Thought I'd drop you a line and say "Thank You" for your Blogs*.Wife and I were out digging in a messy antique store last Thursday and asked the owner if he had any fountain pens. Yes he did. We purchased a box of assorted pens for $20 and one of them, a 1950's Parker Pen was worth $200 before any repairs. Sold it this AM. The other ones may have to keep for a while.

Ron

We would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Very excited to hear more about your forays into the glass art market. Keep us updated! ~ABJ Seattle Glass Online

    ReplyDelete