Saturday, April 11, 2009

“Charles Lotton Art Glass” - Daryle Lambert – Money to be made with 1980's and 1990's pieces.


Lotton Glass- The Best of The Best


I have been following the Lotton Glass for several years now and continue to believe that Charles Lotton's pieces of Art Glass from the 80's and 90's will be the ones that future collectors will prize. Every artist has periods when they produce their best art and I think that those periods were the ones that history will prove sets him apart from other glass artists. Even Tiffany had his periods and his later works do not command the attention that he enjoyed through his career.

In my opinion, Charles’ new works are rather bland compared to the wonderful expressions that he was able to capture in earlier works. In fact, I sense a more commercial leaning to the pieces that are being produced today. Also the elevated prices of his new works, possibly brought on by higher expenses, I believe are taking some of his work out of the range of some future collectors’ pocketbooks.

Even though I would ask our members to continue the search for the better examples of the Lotton glass, I no longer can encourage the purchase of the newer items at the current prices. As you have seen I am very actively pursuing the purchase of older pieces, as was shown by the 31 Club’s latest selling of the two pieces on eBay that reached our goal of at least double our money from our cost on the items we purchase. I believe this will continue to be possible if you restrain your purchases to the older pieces.

The Lotton Glass Club that is maintained by Warner Smith will fill the need for collectors of this beautiful glass for years to come and also provide the necessary information on the trends in Art Glass for all interested parties. It was announced at Early's Glass Auction that the Lotton Studio was forming a second club for Lotton Glass collectors, but I will have to reserve my opinion of it until I see what they have in mind.

It is the responsibility of the 31 Club to share our opinions with all its readers so that the decisions the readers make can be informed and based on the latest information that the 31 Club can provide them. I would welcome any comments that you would like to share with me on this or any other blog that has been posted.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Us Today!

Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment