Tuesday, April 14, 2009

“Sonja Blomdahl Gift to Us” - Daryle Lambert – Her Glass is from God.


Sonja Blomdahl - www.glassart.net


I have to admit that very seldom do I see something that just takes my breath away but when I first saw Sonja's work it was one of those times. She herself says that she no longer worries how a piece will turn out because her sense of color seems to never fail her. If anything she says “Usually my pieces are even more beautiful than I imagined while I was blowing them.”

This is just one example of an artist that few people know but more people should. I haven't had the privilege to own one of her pieces but I guarantee you it won't be long until I do. Here is a short bio. of Sonja's.



Sonja Blomdahl received her BFA from Massachusetts College of Art in 1974 and since then has blown quite a bit of glass. Along the way, she studied at the OrreforsGlass School in Sweden and has built her own hot glass studio in Seattle.

Sonja finds time to teach both locally and nationally. Her works are included extensively in public and private collections, from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the Museum of Decorative Arts in the Czech Republic.

There is no doubt in my mind that this lady is destined for greatness and if the major art glass museums don't have her pieces on display, they are missing out on some of the most beautiful glass ever produced. I will be highlighting some other artists from Bonnie Miller's book “Out of the Fire” and hopefully the members of the 31 Club will find pieces produced by these outstanding artists.

Here is another place where Sonja's work is highlighted.

http://holstengalleries.com/artists/show/blomdahl-2

We should be so thankful that Littleton and Labino discovered the studio glass melting furnace or the world would never had the opportunity to see the unbelievable works of art that have been produced by the Puget Sound Community.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Us Today!
Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that piece is beautiful. The red is so fierce. It almost looks like it just came out of the fire.

    -Adam Lambert

    ReplyDelete