Tuesday, April 21, 2009

“Never Too Old To Learn” - Daryle Lambert – Henry Faulkner Kentucky Artist.


Henry Faulkner painting - Thanks to www.millerfineart.com


I have been writing to you about my knowledge of Kentucky art and its artists for quite some time. But I just found out I didn't know it all. Little did I realize that a gentleman by the name of Henry Faulkner had made quite a splash as an artist in Kentucky. In fact I didn't even recognize the name at all. My phone seldom stops ringing and it wasn't a surprise that it rang yesterday afternoon. This lady with a pleasant voice said “Is this Mr. Lambert.” “I don't know about the mister part but this is Daryle Lambert and how can I help you?”, I replied. She then told me about a William Horton that I might have interest in because she had seen our ad on the AskArt site for William Horton. My next question is always “Can you send me pictures of the painting and a description?”

While we were chatting, I learned that she had connections in Kentucky and as we continued the conversation it was mentioned that she had received several Kentucky paintings from her husband. This caught my attention with visions of Harvey Joiner and Carl Brenner dancing through my head. “Henry Faulkner is the artist” was what I heard through the phone and I blinked and said to myself , “Who is that?”. In fact the name meant so little to me that I didn't even pursue it any further.

But after we had finished our conversation, I thought that it might be good if I at least looked him up on AskArt. To my surprise he had 23 listing and his prices were pretty consistent from $3,000 to $10,000. I was stunned and couldn't wait to get my customer back on the phone. Mr. Faulkner lived from 1924 to 1981 and had a very colorful life. He was rumored to have been a Tennessee Williams lover and was often photographed in drag.

His painting took him from Europe to the Florida Keys where he was a friend of Ernest Hemingway. While most of his paintings were in a whimsical style composed of flowers, animals and buildings, these weren't all the subjects his art covered.

Now for the sad part, I am sure that I have seen paintings by Faulkner at house and garage sales but never gave them a second thought because in my mind they were just decorative pieces. But you can be assured that from now on I will have his signature implanted in my mind where it will never be lost again. As you are in the field this is the reason to check everything you see and later do your research because we will never know it all. I wonder how much money it has cost me by not knowing the name Henry Faulkner?


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Us Today!
Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment