Thursday, May 27, 2010

Poker Chips - Daryle Lambert's Antiques and Collectibles Blog – Be a Good Neighbor


Moon & Owl Poker Chip - Thanks to athlebrites.com




Yesterday was one of the most interesting days that I have spent in a long time. Even though this week seems like it will never end, yesterday was special. I drove south of Chicago to meet a wonderful lady named Pam, and her daughter, and we spent the better part of the day together.

This story started a few months ago when I received a call asking if I bought antiques. I assured the caller that I did. She asked if it would be okay to visit my home and bring a few things for me to see. She wondered if I might be interested in buying the items, which I was more than glad to tell her was a possibility. On the appointed day she arrived, and to my surprise she had a very important Japanese tin toy in mint condition which I was able to purchase. I figured that I probably wouldn't see her again but that toy plus her wonderful personality made the day worthwhile.

Now to fast forward. I received another call and the voice on the phone asked if I would be interested in seeing some items that she would be interested in selling. Using my regular response I assured her that I would and asked where she lived. The appointment was made and yesterday I showed up at her door. Surprise, surprise, it was Pam, the same lady from whom I had purchased the tin toy. I hadn’t connected the dots.

We started walking through the house together and my eyes just jumped from one great item to the next. But today I only have room to write about one item. To complete this story of my visit with Pam will take a few more blogs. But let’s talk about that item that you should be interested in. As we were walking, I noticed a wooden box and upon opening it, found the box to be completely filled with poker chips. At first I thought they may have been Bakelite, but now I think they were clay. There were perhaps two hundred or more chips in the box and I hadn't seen any like them before. Not knowing what their value was and having used Pam's computer to look up something else, I suggested that we research them. I feel confident that if I had offered her $100, they would have been mine.

The daughter quickly entered the information I had given her and our eyes popped out when, there it was, a chip just like the one I had in my hand. We were looking at eBay's completed auctions where I have always suggested you look for information. This particular auction had just finished with a final bid of $11.99. You do the math. Two hundred times $12 equals $2400 I believe, and I had just become a good neighbor. I was more than glad to help this wonderful lady and I hope that she is able to get this for her chips on eBay. I didn't buy the poker chips, but when I left her house, my pickup was full of wonderful collectibles and I had spent a fabulous day with Pam and her daughter.

Watch for poker chips the are etched with a moon and owl. These originals are from the early 1900's. 


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques and collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club. Join Us Today


No comments:

Post a Comment