Friday, May 21, 2010

Paintings – Daryle Lambert's Antiques and Collectibles Blog – What is Going Up?



 Charles Courtney Curran



Having been in the investment business most of my life, I have found that there are always some things going up, even in the worst of markets. Most of my time is spent trying to figure out what these items might be and then share that with the members of the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectibles Club. I have to admit that lately it has been difficult, but there is one area of the antique business that is flourishing.

Yes, gold is crashing and the same with oil, but the value of listed art work seems to have taken off like a rocket. The stock market has lost 10% of its value in a matter of weeks, but that certainly hasn't deterred interest in quality paintings. I have the service AskArt and they send me information on about forty artists that I am following. With each auction, the prices seem to do nothing but go up. This may very well be the time that our members should really focus on art work when they attend auctions, and house or garage sales. I just received an email from a member who purchased a painting for just a couple of hundred dollars. If I am correct, it could bring $6500 or more at auction. Let me warn you, however, that it isn't a time to purchase unlisted pieces by artists that no one is searching for.

Why art must be the question. It may be just the process of elimination. Nothing else is going up and people who still have discretionary income are willing to enjoy art while they are waiting for its appreciation. Another reason might be that art is recognized around the world as something that retains its value, regardless of economic conditions. Yes, the art market may take a dip, but it is usually short lived as art lovers look for exceptional paintings to add to their collections. Never let us forget that the museums are continually buying the best of the best for their members to view and they never seem to run out of money.

Here is a tip that each of you should follow. Pick out your favorite type of art and then chose 15 or 20 artists that you would like to follow. Put them in your “favorites” and eBay will notify you when a work by that artist is listed. This will help you evaluate that artist’s work. Later on, as you are looking for treasures, if you see a painting by one of them, it might just be your lucky day. You should see me when I find a painting by one of my artists. It is just like Christmas for me, even if I am not the successful bidder.

It's my birthday so I am going to make this short however I will continue with more information about paintings tomorrow.

My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques and collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club. Join Us Today

No comments:

Post a Comment