Monday, June 15, 2009

“Who is Afraid of Roseville Pottery?” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog- “Don't You Be.”


Roseville Futura - Thanks to wisconsinpottery.org


Enough is enough and that is what I have to say about the prices that Roseville Pottery pieces are bringing in today's markets. This is ridiculous. People are selling the better pieces of Roseville for less than the junk pottery that was made by unknown potteries that sold for a quarter originally.

This may be a once in a lifetime situation to take advantage of a preconceived weakness in the Roseville market that isn't justified. Yes, there were some rather crude reproductions of Roseville made but even a novice can tell the real from the fake once the fakes are pointed out to them. This shouldn't be the reason for the almost total collapse of this market, so now I am left with a puzzle. What could it be? Here is what I think. It is the blind leading the blind. Someone reduced his prices on Roseville so the dealer next to him reduced his even lower until there is no market at all.

I listed a Pinecone jardinière that was 15 inches high that had an old label with a price of $2500 still on it. I know you won't believe me but a lady emailed me that she would give me $125 for it, but are you ready for the real kicker? She said only if it were in perfect condition. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry so I just laughed. This is the time to strike while people are completely blinded by what others are saying.

If you check the other auctions like Seeauctions and Online Auction you will find prices for pieces I am going to share with you at even more ridicules prices than these on eBay. Here we go freesia ewer $10.50, Bleeding Heart Bowl $15.50, Bleeding Heart Vase with handles $15.65, Snowberry Vase $17.50, Apple Wallpocket $15.00, Bushberry vase handled $22.00, Cornelian Vase $19.95, Columbine Vase $28. I would love to have all of these and feel certain there is a double of my cost in each one. But let's look at the more popular patterns from the past: Futura Vase $795, that you couldn't have touch for double that a few years ago and think if you were lucky enough to buy it for half that, this Baneda 12 inch vase didn't get a bid at $725, neither did this Blackberry Vase at $675, Blue pinecone Vase $600 and another Blackberry Vase for $425.

Here are two pieces that didn't even sell that I would have given my eye teeth for: Cherry Blossom lamp $404 and a Sunflower vase with handles for $382. What would they have brought at other less well viewed auctions I can only imagine. It is time to buy Roseville and don't be ashamed to bid ridiculously low prices because everyone else is and they are buying some real cherries


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment