Saturday, June 27, 2009

“Close to Home” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – Where the Treasures Might Be.


There is no better place - Thanks stradanove.net


I am analyzing these markets every day and it is becoming more difficult to find the trends that will produce the results that I wish for our members. With the new polls showing that more and more people are saving their money, this will temporarily shut off some of the funds that usually end up in collectibles and fine art markets. Still it is a proven fact that over the last 50 years nothing has even come close to appreciating like Art and Collectibles.


So how can this knowledge serve us? You should know by now that one of the better ways of turning a profit is finding something that is out of place, like a California painting in Chicago or a Florida Highwayman's painting in New York. This will happen on occasion but not everyday. So now what you must be asking? Maybe the answer is things that are close to home.


You can take me for an example, I collect art from my home state of Kentucky and usually pay more for these paintings than I would percentage wise for other paintings. I also know several people that collect Kentucky Whiskey jugs, Kentucky Derby Glasses and Owensboro Kentucky Wagon Company items. It is easy for me to build a list of collectors for these items because I run into them at every auction when I am back in Kentucky for a visit and they stay in touch with me because of the interest I have in Kentucky items.These people become friend's and a resource for buying and selling the things that I have grown to love.


But what about you if Chicago is your home? There is the Pickard Porcelain Company with the artist signed pieces, World's Fair items from the Chicago World's Fair, sports items from the many pro teams, many local artists that are listed and political memorabilia from the many notorious people that have served Chicago. To me it looks as if Chicago is prime territory for the person wishing to be in the Antique and Collectible business, but how many other places would qualify as treasure havens?


Almost any major city east of the Mississippi River will give you the opportunity to capitalize on items of interest in that area. Make a list of items that people would love to collect that have special meaning for citizens in your area. Often a small ad in the local newspaper can produce astonishing results for you and turn a very few dollars into the jackpot you're looking for. I am often reminded of a small book that has proven to be a classic called “Acres of Diamonds” where a man traveled the country in search of diamonds but returned home considering himself a failure until he discovered diamonds in his back yard. This could be us and it should give us room for thought. The more I hear the old sayings the more they become true for me, like this one: "You can't see the trees for the forest."


Yesterday I went to a funeral of a very dear friend of mine's husband and we said goodbye to a special man but today I will be the best man for one of the greatest young men that I have ever met who found his perfect woman through God's grace. What this showed me is how often we think that we have come to our end just to see that there is a fresh and new beginning for us just around the corner. There are treasures untold that are waiting to be discovered and at no time should you let yourself get to the point that you no longer want to search for them because at that time you are probably closer to them than any other time.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment