Friday, June 12, 2009

“It Does My Heart Good” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – Thank you, Mary.

We CAN LEARN TOGETHER -THANK TO LEAP.UBC.CA


The best thing about my job is to hear from people when my advice has helped them. I have been ridiculed for caring so much for others but I always know that in God's eye that is what we are to do. Yes, I still remember when a dealer asked why I had to educate everyone and my answer was “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.“ This I hope will become the slogan for the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club. I will do this as long as I am able and today I got an email that makes it all worth the effort for me.

As you should know it was very difficult to recommend to my followers that maybe during these hard economic times they may have to deal in the lower end items for a while to get by but I believe it was the right thing to do and I would do the same thing again. Yes, going to a garage or house sale and buying 50 items for $1.00 each isn't my idea of a treasure hunt but it can be well worth while the effort. I believe after hearing from Mary your mind might be changed also.

Because they read this blog everyday, I often hear from the same people over and over and that is just what I want to happen because if I'm not hearing from you then there isn't a way I can tell if the information that I am providing is helping or not. Mary is one of my faithful followers and she made my heart happy today. When I share her email with you it won't be hard to understand why I say this.

Here is her wonderful email that should be a lesson for all of us.


Hi Daryle,

Well, I went to the Sunday auction. As I thought, it was long and drawn out. They started selling the Fostoria and decided they weren't getting enough and they just quit! They covered it and put it all away. They had no reserves and some people had driven in just for that. It didn't go over very well.

I tried to watch for all we discussed. The first war poster went for 150.00 and after that, most went for 75-100. I had seen the Rockwell set on ebay go for 76.00. They had all four at the auction and they went for 75.00 apiece!!! The paperweights went for 22.50 each first round and the guy took 4. The rest still went for about 10. each. I couldn't come close to anything we talked about. I did end up purchasing 25 china teacup sets, some 2 piece, some 3 for 60.00 There were several bone china sets. I'll let you know how those go.

In your one blog you talked about working with the lesser items. I keep reading and studying and I know I am getting better. I have to make money now so I do what I can. I have had some good scores lately I wanted to tell you. I paid 2.00 for a flat of linen. I pulled out one doily and it just sold for 61.00 on ebay!!! I also paid 5.00 for a metal picnic basket in excellent condition and it is over 31.00 already and doesn't end until Sunday. I also bought 10 vintage ladies hats for 10.00 and already made the 10.00 back on one so for now, I kept plugging with whatever I can find. Today I just bought two vintage chenille bedspreads at a thrift store for 1.50 total!!! I'll let you know!

Well, thanks for letting me air out. I will keep going and watching for the "big ones". I know they are out there.

Again, thank you for all you do and for your constant encouragement.

Mary


I must be a real softy because I just read this email for the third or fourth time and it brought tears to my eyes. You see we had gone over the items that were in the auction and she wasn't able to purchase any of them at the prices that I recommended but that didn't deter her from her stated goal and that is to be successful in the Antique and Collectible business. There are several lessons to be learned from her email but I will let you figure them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment