Friday, June 5, 2009

“If It Is Too Good, Be Careful” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – Fakes abound.

Fakes Can Be Costly - Thanks to http://www.home.clf.rr.com/


You would think that in times of prosperity you would see the most fakes and reproductions but that isn't necessarily so. I am finding that the percentage of fakes that are being presented to me now is greater than at any time that I have been in the Antique and Collectible business. It really hurts me when I have to tell a person the treasure they thought was going to really set them on their way is a fake. I usually hear them say “Oh well” but I know the their heart has just aboutfallen through the floor.

Let's examine why this is happening. First, I think that the unscrupulous sellers know that in times when dealers are making very little money and often not breaking even, they can be open to getting hurt if they think that there is an opportunity to score big. Often, out of despair, they will forgo the lessons that they have learned through study. These buyers become easy prey for the rogues in this business. It is exactly these times that we as members of the Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible club want to be cautious because a big mistake now will be harder to overcome than in good times. If you have your money you're still in the game but if you get taken by fakes it may be game over. So take your time because time is on your side as long as you are still able to play.

This is a dog eat dog business on the outside so that is why we must stick together and share with one another to prevent us from getting taken. How do these people without a heart lure us in? One of the best ways of getting us is to put something out at a garage or house sale. When we ask if it is real they will tell us it has been in the family for 50 years or simply they don't know. This is when we should walk away because the seller knows we don't have time to do the research and they are hoping our greed will get the best of us. Another scam is when you go to a show or flea market and a dealer says, "I took this piece in on trade and I made my money on the piece I sold so I can offer you this piece at my cost." You should always be leery when someone offers to sell you something at cost. Here is another line to avoid, "I had a very well known dealer say that it was genuine." Sure they did.

I could go on and tell you about other ways people pass on fakes and reproduction but maybe it is time for me to help you avoid getting taken. Here is an almost fail safe way of finding out if the seller is trying to take you with a fake. Ask the seller to hold your check while you have a person that is an expert check it out and the response will almost be immediate. If the seller knows the piece is fake he will start making every excuse under the sun why he can't do that and this is when you don't want to walk away but run. If he says okay it will clear him from being purposely dishonest but it still could be a fake so check it out and hopefully it will be the real thing. Second, you can ask for a receipt that states that it is a real genuine item and that you can return it if it isn't.

Hopefully these little tips will help you stay safe but the best method to avoid fakes and reproductions is to take your time and realize that there will be another opportunity and if there is the slightest doubt about a piece being real, walk away. I am sure that I have missed my share of treasures in the past but believe me I am so glad I did because by not making many mistakes I have lived to fight another day.

My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment