Sunday, June 28, 2009

“Artists on the Move” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Blog – Who are they?


Know Who They Are-Artist


I often wonder where the information that I am hunting for will come from. But I have found that it isn't usually found because I was searching for it. Take for example the Christie's catalog I received for the June 30 – July 1 auction. I was very interested in one entry that was selling. You see I have a painting listed for sale there and hope that it will do better than the last time they tried to sell it and the painting fell short of the estimates. I waited a few months and now we will try it again.

But why would that be important to us? As soon as I received the catalog I scanned it for my Bannard painting to be sure that it had been listed correctly. It had been listed correctly but while in the catalog I looked to see if there were other artists that interested me. To my surprise I started seeing artists that were foreign to me but their estimates ranged from $3000 to $7000 and this caught my attention. Have you heard of Loren MacIver? He has a painting representing his skills estimated from $5000 to $7000 or how about a Paul Wonner painting listed at $3000 to $5000. Let me throw in the name of Kenny Scharf. I hadn't heard of him either but there he was and his painting's estimate was $4000 to $6000. This was just the start because I was still within the first few pages of the catalog. You may well know that most auctions start their sales with cheaper items and the expensive pieces don't sell until midway through the catalog.

But what do all these artist have in common? They're Americans. You see about the time I think I am getting there and know a little bit about the art field I get a shock of my life. Not to mention seeing another American, Norman Bluhm, who has a piece estimated to bring $25,000 and could even bring more. How many sources are out there for us to look at and by merely doing so get large numbers of artist names that can make us some serious money?

I would bet that only a few of my readers even have started a list of names of artists that sell paintings over $5000. This should not include common names that everyone knows but those that you haven't heard of before.

Now I would like to give you an assignment that will greatly enhance your profits in the future. Take a piece of paper and list 10 auction houses. Christie's, Sotheby's, Shannon's and so on. Then go the the computer and look at their upcoming auctions and list the names of painters with paintings listed for $5000 or more I promise that over a short time you will have the opportunity to buy a piece by one of these artists and it may be at a bargain basement price because no one else recognized its value.

See how simple this business is. Everything that I suggested is free and only makes you money. If you only have 5 names on your list it may take some time before one of them pops up but if there are 200 names on that list watch out, the cavalry is coming.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment