Saturday, June 6, 2009

“Flora Danica Even Sounds Beautiful” - Daryle Lambert's Antique and Collectible Club – China With a Cost.


Royal Cophenhagen Flora Danica - Thanks to jamerantik.dk



This week I have had several emails and calls on sets of china. The one that surprised me most was when a gentleman email me about a Bohemia Carlsbad set composed of 64 pieces. After corresponding with him he finally called and said that he had been told that several of the pieces were worth $2000 dollars or more. Since I have been in this business for over 45 years I have only encountered a few china sets that will sell in the secondary market for over $2000. My advice to him was to check with Replacements Limited and he shocked me when he said he had. I ask what they told him and his answer was $9.00 a plate. This was when as gently as I could I said ” I don't think the person saying that pieces sold for over $2000 was correct do you?”

When today you can buy complete sets of 12 plus serving pieces from companies like Doulton, Hutschenreuther and Wedgwood for $900 to $2500, it is hard to imagine many sets that would sell for $20,000 or more in the secondary market. Yes, if you go to the store to purchase these sets of china new, don't be surprised to see them marked up 500% or more from the prices I quoted here, but the secondary market is a totally different market just as it is in jewelry. Why anyone would buy china or jewelry at retail prices is beyond me.

This is when I think that old adage comes into play “ A fool and his money are easily separated ” and I concur. My wife has beautiful jewelry, if I have to say so myself, but it has been purchased wisely and for this I have been able to buy for her things that I could not have afforded at retail prices. This same can be said of china and sterling silver that are given for wedding presents. How many people have started their china and sterling patterns but because they are priced so high, never get them completed. I must confess I fall into that category and have an incomplete set of silver stored in my closet.

My purpose in writing this blog is to warn you about over paying but it is also to inform you of where you might find bargains when they are over looked by others. There is a company that makes a series of china that falls into the class and it is Royal Copenhagen's Flora Danica. This china isn't for the faint of heart. I noticed a small basket listed in the Cincinnati Art Galleries auction for this weekend with an estimate of $2000-$3000. It is only 3 1/2 inches tall and 9 inches across. Since this bowl is reticulated [ meaning it has perforated sides ], I can only think of one purpose for it and that is to hold napkins. Ha Ha. Pretty expensive napkin rack.

But not trying to be funny, there is money to be made if you run across pieces of this china in your search for treasure. I remember when Vicki or Lou Ann emailed me once about some Flora Danica that was selling and my advice was to purchase it if it were reasonable, but guess what, it wasn't. If you doubt me go to eBay to the completed section. There you will find where 12 plates were offered for $12,500 and the ad says that was 50% of the retail price. I once was told if a person had to ask the price of something they weren't rich and I believe this would differently apply to Flora Danica because the person buying it must never ask the price I'm sure. I don't think that I could eat off a $1000 plate because I would be shaking so hard I would drop my knife and chip the plate. Happy hunting.


My 220 page book about how to make money buying and selling antiques & collectibles is FREE with your membership in the Daryle Lamberts Antique and Collectible Club . Join Us Today!Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment