Monday, December 17, 2007

Daryle Lambert: Beautiful Blue Holland Pottery - DELFT



Holland is known for many things besides windmills and wooden shoes. Perhaps the most beautiful thing the Dutch are known for is their Blue and White Delft Pottery. I'm sure you have seen it and admired the intricate work involved in the many pieces they have produced since 1673. Delftware was originally developed at this time as an imitation of Chinese Porcelain.

If you ever find an early piece of Delft, be sure to have it authenticated by one of the leading auction houses. I am certain they will be glad to do that for you at no expense. Why? If it is an early and rare piece, it can command a four or five figure price with no trouble, and they'll want to sell it for you.

This is one of those items that most of us will need to research thoroughly, because information isn't as easy to obtain on Delft as it is on most items. One great source, however, is Kovels New Dictionary of Marks, by Ralph and Terry Kovel. There is a chart of the Delft marks by year in the back of the book. These marks begin at the year 1879. Later pieces aren't that difficult to date, but earlier ones will require a Delft expert.

This pottery is a tin glazed pottery, and the standard mark is a pottery vase design with the word "Delft" below it, and often "Holland. There are many fakes and reproductions out there, so be on guard. In fact I have been fooled myself, but thankfully, I always wait until I am absolutely positive I know what I have before purchasing Delft. Most of the pieces you will find today were produced after 1891, but even they can go for a handsome penny.

This pottery, known as Dutch Pottery, was also made in other countries such as England, where it was produced in the eighteenth century. I don't think that the price will differ from country because it is always the quality that counts.

Because there is so much new Delft being produced today, I have found that most dealers just presume it to have very little value, so if you're careful theremay be some great bargains just waiting to be found. I don't believe you'll find many garage sellers that can identify an old piece of Delft from the new.

I wish that I had some fabulous story to tell about Delft, but I don't. I am looking for that first great piece to come my way. I never put it out of my mind because it could be at that next stop. If any of you find a great price before I do, would you please share that news with us?

If you have been with us for a while, you will remember that I said that being in this business is as simple as remembering one thing, then another, until there are hundreds of items in your memory when you go out hunting. Read, read, read and then read some more. That will be the secret to your success. I'm hoping these blogs will provide you with a starting point in many fields that you will expand upon. One day I might be asking you for some answers.

Today's Photo is courtesy of Southern Accents, who ran a nice article on Delft.

Discover how our book can be the tool that helps you become financially free simply buying and selling antiques, collectibles and fine art.

Be sure to visit our web site for more information about how you can join the 31 Club Wealth Building and start your own race to your millions! Read more about The Million Dollar Challenge.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the 31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your item to us. No high fees when you sell with us. Contact us here.

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message. Chime in and participate with us.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr Lambert

    Just a couple of questions...

    1. We have a cow milk server with the typical blue and white drawing of a windmill on the side but underneath it has a picture of a windmill and it says Hand Painted Holland Type. Is this just a cheap immitation of a Delft?

    2. My Opa and Oma left us a side table which has 12 ceramic tiles in it. They are very old tiles with cracking through them each with a little blue drawing in the middle of them. I cannot find any markings on the back of the tile. How do you know if they are antique?

    Regards Jodie

    ReplyDelete