Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bigger Than a Bread Box – Classic Cars


The phone rang about 8:00, and having been up very late I expected bad news. But it was a gentleman asking if I had a Cadillac. It didn’t register with me as I sat up in bed and tried to get my wits about me, that I had a 1968 Cadillac Convertible listed in the 31 Club Marketplace, so I replied, “I don’t drive a Cadillac.”

“The one online,” he said. I shook the cobwebs from my head and we were finally able to have a real conversation. Though he must have thought I was a complete idiot at first, the good news is I’m fairly certain that car is headed for New York.
Yes, cars are larger than a bread box, but finding classic cars and selling them can be quite rewarding. The great advantage is that the new owner has to make arrangements for its transportation.

I’ve written previously about finding items in your area that have greater demand somewhere else and Classic Cars fits into this category, at least in my neck of the woods. Both the East and West Coasts are havens for the classic car owners. So, if you are from the Midwest and find a 1957 Chevrolet hard top, you can be assured it will bring more money in California than in Kentucky.

So what should you look for? If it looks different or has markings that don't seem standard, you may have found a winner. Just one example is a car with the number 442 on the side. This may be a car you want to take note of. Convertibles are always in demand, and usually there were fewer of them made than other models. High performance models bring top money, also.

The manufacturer of the car isn't nearly as important as the rarity of the car. Dodge and Plymouth can bring more than Chevrolet and Ford in many cases. The great thing about this area of collecting is that cars are high ticket items. So, when you find the right one, it can play a big part in your advancement in the 31 Clubs Million Dollar Race, enabling you to complete several steps at a time, if you find the right car.

Where do I find out more information about what to look for? You can start with our old standby by checking eBay’s completed auctions for classic cars. Next, visit a gas station. There you’ll find magazines listing cars for sale. Take note of the makes, models, and prices of cars. Your local newspaper is a great resource, and they will have classified sales sections for cars. Sometimes on your visits to estate sales, you’ll see cars parked in the driveway or street with a for sale sign on them. Usually you can take the time to do your research on cars because they don’t sell every day.

I know you would like for me to name some of the best finds, but this is one area that I will have to let you be the judge. Just a few cars that I have personally owned that I think would fit into this area are a 1982 Corvette, 1953 MD TD, 1955 Chevrolet Belair, Studebaker Golden Hawk and a 1965 Mercedes.

Cars have always held a fascination for me and if you have interest in this area it will become a passion of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment