Thursday, September 18, 2008

Antique Business: Build Up Your Knowledge and Network During an Economic Slowdown




As I discussed in my blog on buying and selling in uncertain economic times, the days ahead might get a little rough. However, this gives us even more reason to bone up on KNOWLEDGE. It is our knowledge of antiques and fine art that will give us the edge we need to be successful in the coming days, regardless of any economic downturns in our country or worldwide. The best and highly desirable always sells and we need to be able to recognize it and buy it.

Network, network, network! You'll be doing yourself a huge favor by letting people know you’re in this business. By doing so, you open yourself up to the possibility of having amazing things cross your path. Whenever I’m in conversation with someone, I try not to leave until I’ve at least mentioned I’m in the Antique and Fine Art business. Your saying so might even turn up some Civil War letters written by a Confederate Soldier to his wife, as it did for one of our 31 Club Members.

The lot of 147 Civil War Letters, found by a club member and purchased through our Associates Program, found a buyer immediately through our network of private buyers. The same thing happened with the Vintage Kentucky Derby Glass. In fact, this sale happened so fast we didn’t even have the time to list the glass on our marketplace.

This time of economic uncertainty isn't a time to rest on our laurels. Be very aggressive in your search for the special pieces that will propel you to the next level. And if you find something special that's not in you're buying budget, call us to go through the Associate Program and make the 35%.

This business never becomes dull for me. I hope it is never dull for you, either. With every passing day, I’m amazed by the things that come up. I received a great phone call recently as I was typing away at the computer. “Are you Mr. Lambert,” a warm voice with an East Coast accent asked? This got my attention because most people don’t call me Mr. Lambert. She asked me if I buy things. I told her I did and asked her to tell me what kind of things she wanted to sell. “Well, I don’t know if you’d have an interest, but I saw you had a Patrick Henry Document for sale, and I have six of those.”

I turned up the volume on my phone. I didn’t want to seem too excited, but I asked her what other items she’s considering parting with. "Well, I do have an original poem that was written for a member of my family by Robert Louis Stevenson. It’s never been published.” Thump. (That's the sound of me falling on the floor.) Those of you who’ve read my book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles, know that it was Robert Louis Stevenson’s book, Treasure Island, that inspired me as a youngster, setting me on the path I’ve been on for almost 45 years –searching out antique and art treasures.

She has since sent me the photos of these items, plus a few others. We are at the point of evaluating them and exploring which method might be best for selling them. Now that’s exciting!

Being a history buff, there isn't anything more exciting for me than to be in possession of something that belonged to a notable figure in history. In my head, on some level, it creates a connection with that person, and for some reason – it’s important for me to feel that connection. Who knows exactly why this is so, and I'm not going to try to figure it out. There's too much treasure hunting to attend to.

I am sure there are members who have exciting stories that other members would like to hear. So, I am soliciting your stories so that we can include them on our website or in a blog. Please send them to Cindy at cindy@31corp.com


*******


Treasure Hunters:

You Find It.
We Buy & Sell It.
You Net 35%.


Partner Up with 31 Club on High Quality Treasures You Find. We Do the Rest!!

Sellers:

Sell Your High Quality Items for LOW FEES
at 31 Gallery & Marketplace.
Keep More of Your Money.


Buyers:

Buy High Quality Items for FAIR PRICES
at 31 Gallery & Marketplace.


Our Members are Newbies to Seasoned Professionals
Making More Money than they Thought Possible.

Daryle's 220 Page Book,
31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your Membership.
Plus You Get FREE MENTORING with Daryle.
Join Today!

Or E-Mail us at info@31corp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment