Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Value of Modern Pottery Teaches an Old Dog New Tricks

Frank Boyden Pot, available retail at Red Lodge Clay Center


I have often been told I might be a little behind the times in certain areas of my life, but I've fought that idea for years. However, as we expand into different areas of Art, Pottery and Glass, I am beginning to think that I might just need to go back to school – for pottery!

I came to this conclusion as I was skimming though the Cincinnati Art Galleries catalog and came upon the name, Frank Boyden. A few of his pottery pieces were for sale with high estimates on them. I had never heard of Frank Boyden and when I saw the estimates on his pieces as high as $3,000, quite frankly, I was wondering where I’ve been. It will be interesting to note what these pieces sell for this weekend, and if the past is any example, they could easily pass these estimates. Boyden worked in pottery during the 1970's and 80's before returning to printmaking.

Brief Frank Boyden Bio from the Laura Russo Gallery:

“Frank Boyden's artistry moves easily from sculpture to ceramics to printmaking. In this exhibition Boyden focuses on ceramic vessels that are wood fired, a technique he became interested in in the mid 1980s. These vessels start as a thrown pot made out of French or Italian porcelain. The artist then works animal and skeletal imagery into the surface pushing and pulling, giving each piece an organic and dimensional quality. They are not glazed but utilize the high firing of the anagama kiln to create color and texture. Boyden works the materials to his own advantage, accepting only a select few for their exceptional and arcane presence. A native Oregonian, Frank Boyden graduated from Yale in painting in 1968. He taught at the University of New Mexico in the late 60s where he became hooked on ceramics. He returned to the Oregon coast to live and founded the Sitka Center for Art and Ecology: a school for environmental studies. An internationally known artist, Boyden has exhibited his work in museums and galleries throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe.”

Educate Yourself by Studying Current Top Auction House Catalogs and Sales Results

Now that Frank Boyden pottery had caught my eye, I decided to examine some of the other modern pottery on the Cincinnati Art Gallery’s list. Next in line was Don Reitz, another name I hadn’t heard of. Just about now, I was beginning to really feel I’ve been living under a rock, because estimates on his vases were even higher than Boyden’s. One piece had an estimate of $6,000. Isn’t it amazing how much you can learn by studying the items from top drawer auction houses? I’m willing to bet there are many more pottery artists I don't know of from the 1960’s through the 1980's whose work is quite valuable.

In my many excursions looking for treasure, I have seen many of these salt glazed pottery pieces with the incised name of the artist on them, but usually I figured they would have very little value. Not now. Today, I can guarantee that if we should bump into one another at the same sale, it’ll be a race to the table with these modern day pottery treasures.

I’m suggesting you go to the live auctions on eBay, look at the items for sale at auction houses like Cincinnati Art Gallery, Rago Auction and Arts, & Treadway Galleries – auction houses that specialize in pottery and examine the photos and information there.

Add Modern Pottery by Noteworthy Artists to Your List of Items to Keep Your Eyes Open For.

First it was the modern furniture and accessories that I didn't know much about, now it’s the modern pottery. I can tell you this – I am one old dog that is learning a few new tricks. And, they will be in the areas of modern design; the younger generation is demanding items from this period of time. And if that’s what they want, I’m going to find it for them. This fertile field is yet another area to help us reach our financial goals using the 31 Steps.

If you have any special knowledge of modern pottery artists whose work is sought after, please contact me or send me something I can post. This can be a powerful tool for members of the 31 Club.

Join Daryle Lambert's 31 Club, today. Rub elbows with like-minded 31 Club Members, and Put a Turbo Charge on your Antique & Collectible Treasure Hunting Skills. Get FREE Mentoring. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to Make High Profits and Continue to Grow Your Money Buying and Selling Antiques, Fine Art, and Collectibles. Our Members are Newbies to Seasoned Dealers.

My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership.

Take a look at the great new items in our Fine Arts Gallery & Marketplace.

WE LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! You can sign in "Anonymous."

http://www.redlodgeclaycenter.com/lists.php?aid=91&type=artist

No comments:

Post a Comment