Monday, June 9, 2008

Collectible Bookends

These Scottie Dog Bookends sold on eBay yesterday for $361

I sat down at the computer knowing I needed to post today's blog, but found myself struggling a bit. You see, my mind was preoccupied. You see, yesterday was the last time I will see my Pastor at the church I attend. Even though I knew this day was coming, I guess I wasn't as prepared for it as I thought I was. So, with this in mind, I'm asking some of you to keep me, my family and my Pastor in your prayers.

While my mind was wrestling with myself and wondering what would be a good blog topic today, I went into my library and began looking through some of my books. It's usually very easy for me to have a topic at the forefront of my mind, but, today, I was having some difficulty. I left the library and returned several times, each time moving the bookends to take out a few selected books. Then, it came to me. Bookends.

Bookends Can Prove to be Great Finds, so Don’t Overlook the Opportunity to Cash in.

Many pairs of Rookwood bookends were represented this past weekend in the Cincinnati Art Galleries auction, including the wise old owl standing on a book and about six pairs that represented “The Rook”, which was a symbol for Rookwood pottery. There was even a Buddha pair I’d never seen before. Others were the horse heads, Kingfishers, elephants, water lilies, lions, the sphinx, and even dogs. I am sure this is just a short list of what the company produced, and these bookends can bring from a few hundred dollars to several thousands depending on their rarity and color. Each will be marked with the Rookwood mark, however, some have been reproduced. But, Rookwood should be just one type of bookend that should catch your eye.

Companies producing bookends from the Arts & Crafts movement can bring you serious money in the thousands of dollars. These are companies such as Jarvie, Heintz Koppercraft, Tiffany and Roycroft. All of the different companies marked their items, so be sure to watch for those marks. You can often find these at house sales, and garage sales marked for just a few dollars. Your local auction houses can even be a good place to find valuable bookends if you are knowledgeable.

There are 2,025 sets of bookends being offered on eBay today, with the most expensive ones being Lalique and Baccarat, both listing for well over a thousand dollars. Bookends are a much sought after collectible, and I haven’t even touched the variety of items in this are you’ll likely come across.

There was a period of time in my life when anything that had a dog on it, had to be mine. My house was over run with dogs, but I never had to walk these dogs or take them to the vet. It was during this time, I purchased a set of Scottie Dog bookends for about $2.50. I didn't know much about them and figured they might bring $25 if I listed them on eBay. I listed them. The first day, they were over $100. (Yes, there was a time when people on eBay bid on the first day.) By the end of the auction, those Scottie dogs brought in over $500.

Join Daryle Lambert's 31 Club, today. Rub elbows with like-minded 31 Club Members, and Put a Turbo Charge on your Antique & Collectible Treasure Hunting Skills. Get FREE Mentoring. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to Make High Profits and Continue to Grow Your Money Buying and Selling Antiques, Fine Art, and Collectibles. Our Members are Newbies to Seasoned Dealers.

My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership.

Take a look at the great new items in our Fine Arts Gallery & Marketplace.

WE LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! You can sign in "Anonymous."

No comments:

Post a Comment