Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Large Items - Are They Worth the Hassle?

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible is offered for sale at the 31 Marketplace.

Yesterday, I shared a story with you about a classic car I bought and sold for a very good profit. And those of you who know me through these blogs, know that I usually don’t buy items larger than the size of a bread box, with the exception of paintings. I have this rule for myself mainly because of the problems associated with storage and shipping. However, if a real bargain comes around that's worth the trouble, I seldom pass it up and will just deal with storage and shipping concerns. But, I don't go looking for these kind of items.


Today, if you check our New and Expanded Marketplace, you’ll be in for a surprise. You’ll see I just listed a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible at $10,000 for one of our 31 Club members. I think they’ll get the price.

Do you have an items that's too large to move, but you’d like to get rid of? If you have something, let us know and we’ll list it for you. I always ask the buyer to be responsible for the insurance and shipping. Sometimes the buyer wants to personally pick up their new item. at I’ve had buyers drive in from other states to pick up a special item they’ve purchased from me.

The 31 Marketplace is the perfect place to sell and get a fair price for those white elephant items too large to move to an auction house or antique mall.

Cast Iron stoves comes to mind about now. I’ve seen them fetch a pretty good price. In the Kovel’s guide, I see there are some stoves selling up to $5,000. I once purchased a cast iron grate for just a few dollars, and while I was moving it, a piece broke off the side. I figured it wasn’t worth selling, but the question for me was – How do I get rid of it? This thing weighed a ton. I decided to take my chances at an auction and almost broke my back loading it into the truck to get it down there. It was hard for me not to laugh when it sold for over $600.

Many people don’t want to be bothered by dealing with buying and selling a piano because of its size and weight. But this is an item that can make you some good money for that very reason. With a little research, you can come up with fantastic buys on these instruments. You’ll also find that most piano dealers almost always charge to pick up, even if it has no value. And this is where the opportunity presents itself for us. You might even find that you won’t have to move it, if the person is willing to keep the piano until it’s sold. Then, the buyer can have it picked up and delivered. But, beware of organs, particularly the old oak pump organs. I have never found a market for these, and a person would have to pay me at least $1,000 just to junk it for them.

Other large items that can prove to be instant money, should you come across them, are old John Deere and Farmall tractors. These items often turn up at country auctions. And now that I think about it, country auctions are great places to find some of the best bargains in many types of items. For starters, you are only bidding against the crowd, not the Internet. The crowds are usually smaller, and items aren’t as well researched before they are sold. In fact, a knowledgeable person can often walk away with some incredible buys at this type of auction.

I still prefer to buy and sell items smaller than a bread box, but every once in awhile, if you can make a few thousand dollars, don't be foolish and pass up a great buy on a larger item. Your back might be a little sore afterward, but the money you make on a large item is just as green as the money you make on a small item.

Join Daryle Lambert's 31 Club, today. Rub elbows with like-minded 31 Club Members, and Put a Turbo Charge on your Antique & Collectible Treasure Hunting Skills. Get FREE Mentoring. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to Make High Profits and Continue to Grow Your Money Buying and Selling Antiques, Fine Art, and Collectibles. Our Members are Newbies to Seasoned Dealers.

My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership.

The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

WE LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!

http://www.31corp.com/


TODAY'S LINKS:

31 Club's Expanded Marketplace

Daryle's Jan. 24th Blog - "Nothing is Too Large"





No comments:

Post a Comment