Monday, July 14, 2008

Fine Art Paintings: Portraits Are In.

Portrait of a Boy and Dog by an Unknown Artist.


Over the years I have had many opportunities to purchase unsigned primitive portraits or folk art portraits of men, women, and children. These have never particularly appealed to me, but after I examined the past catalog from Cowan’s Auction held in March of this year, I’ll be taking a second look next time I see one. I thought these had very little value, but that doesn’t appear to be true today. And, to my surprise, the values can skyrocket if they are signed. While I was aware that certain portraits by the leading painters could bring in fabulous money, with some fetching over $100,000, I didn’t know that most of these old portraits would bring $500 or more. I have passed on many of these portraits at prices as low as $100.

Checking Cowan's auction, I found where there were several paintings by fairly unknown artists that that brought good money. but were by fairly unknown artist. From their March 15th auction, lot # 27 by Robert Fulton sold for - $2520; #28 – for a pair by unknown artist - $13,000 plus, #146 By Samuel Shaver - $3,700 and #151 a pair by Ezra Ames - $5,700. Wow! I have passed on many listed portraits in Nashville shows for under $1500. Boy, do I wish I had that opportunity again.

You will find these portraits at many of the house sales you attend, and I hope you will begin to take notice of them. If you find a quality portrait painting, I suggest you consider Cowan's as the auction house to sell them. Go to the Cowan’s web page and sign up to get their past auction results. I think you’ll be as amazed with the prices as I was. Not only will you find the prices, but you’ll see photos of the paintings as well as their descriptions. This is one of those cases where I think it would definitely be best to sell this type of painting at auction, rather than on the Internet.

Over the last few days, I’ve been giving you information will assist you in making a lot of money. By applying the rules I’ve learned about buying and selling over many years of trial and error, you’ll gain from my roughly 45 years of experience. When you apply the financial principles to these trades, you’ll see your money accumulate substantially.

There have been several emails about the website, and I will try to answer all of them, but please be patient, as there are many changes coming. Checking the site while Jeremy is doing some of the construction may be problematic. I am looking forward to the day when the 31 Club site will be interactive, and you will be able to participate in the content whenever you wish.

I’m back from vacation and I have much catching up to do over the next few days. I thank each and every one of you for your patience while I was away, and special thanks to Cindy and Jeremy for keeping everything running in my absence.

Put a Turbo Charge on your Antique & Collectible Treasure Hunting Skills. Join Daryle Lambert's 31 Club.

Get FREE MENTORING. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets that help you increase your profits. Then Learn to Grow Your Money Exponentially Buying and Selling only Antiques, Fine Art, and Collectibles with Daryle's Strategic Business Plan. Our Members are Newbies to Seasoned Dealers, making more money than they thought possible. Join Daryle Lambert's 31 Club, today.


My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. Join Today!

Check out the new Paintings and new items in our Gallery and Marketplace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment