Saturday, March 15, 2008

Daryle Lambert Blog: There's Money in Doulton K Series



Yesterday, I wrote about making a good chunk of change if you ran across Doulton Dogs. Today, it's Pigs, Rabbits, Kittens & Penguins and K Figurines. Often, there will be a table of figurines at sales. It's great when you find a table that will have several Doulton animals offered, especially when you know the ones that bring the big money. Many times, those conducting the sales will have the small figurines way over priced because they think anything Doulton must have a high value, or they have them sorely under market value because they think of them as just trinkets.

At an antiques show a few years back, My wife, Vickie, was calling me from across the room. As I approached, I couldn't see anything to be excited about and I felt put out because I was on the hunt. When I got to her, she had me look inside one of the display cases. And boy, was I excited. An entire set of six Doulton K series penguins were there. The woman behind the counter wanted $50 apiece for them, and not a penny less. Ok, I figured, not cracking a smile. She wants $300. I offered her $210. Then I acted as if I was going to leave, looking away from her. I could see out of the corner of my eye that she leaned in toward me. Then I started to look distracted, as if something over in the next dealer's booth was catching my eye. She finally said, "I guess I will take that." I knew for certain she had made a profit, and I was sure I would, too. I quickly wrote the check, thanked her and left.

Vickie was all smiles. She is a better hunter for treasure than me because she is far more patient. I sold these later at a Doulton Show I had set up. They averaged about $250 each, turning this $210 investment into $1,500. Oh, how I love those little penguins!

These little Penguins all had about the same value, but that isn't true of all the little fellows. In the K series, there are 39 different animals of which six are Penguins. But how about the rest? Dogs make up 18 of the 39, however, all but three of these are very common. Those three are the lying Bull Terrior, the Sealyham lying, and the Airdale lying. The Bull Terrior is the most valuable. I've sold this one in the past for $500. The other two can bring about $250. The reason these three bring so much more that the others is because there are fewer of them, and when a person starts collecting the k series they want to own them all. The rest of the series are common, bringing from $50 to $75.

We have discussed the K Dogs and Penguins but there are some other K's that will bring you some fancy money. Those are the birds. There are 11 of these feathered friends and here is where you have to know something. In the book, these are priced rather reasonably, but to buy them, collector are willing to pay several times what the book says. It is not uncommon to see them go for $250 - $500 each. These are really the hidden treasures of the K series, and I can assure you that if you find one there will be a buyer for it. All the K figures are under 3 inches tall.

Outside the K series are the Pigs, and these are still considered miniatures. They should be in the $300 - $500 range, if you can find them. These little treasure will make you think before passing that table filled with small animal figurines in the future.

To Learn More About Royal Doulton History and Top Artists, Shiffer's "Royal Doulton, A Legacy of Excellence 1871-1945" is an excellent resource. It's discounted at Amazon and includes a price guide.

Join the 31 Club and learn how to build personal wealth through the antique, collectible and fine art markets.

Read Up On The 31 Club Here.

Visit our website here.

Please leave a comment. If you don't want to sign in, just use the ANONYMOUS button. Chime in and participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment