Saturday, March 1, 2008

High Profit Day - Adventures in the Antique Business


I am reporting to you from the back-seat of a 2001 Ford Wind star. This is our last ski trip of the season, and we are traveling with three adults and three kids. The last trip like this that I took ended in one of my better days for treasure hunting. Here's what happened:

While everyone else did their own thing, I decided to venture out to see what I could find. Believe it or not, at the first place I stopped, there were some great Royal Doulton figurines from the 1940s. I soon began to bargain with the owner and used the technique that I have taught you in past blogs. I put about twenty figurines in a group and calculated the average price per piece I wanted to pay, then made the offer. At first there was a negative response, but as I started to walk away, the woman ask if I would pay any more than my offer. I explained why that was my best offer. You see asking if I would pay more, she told me that we were very close to closing the deal. Sure enough, after a few minutes she agreed to sell them to me for my original offer.

Putting that many figurines together meant that the total offer was rather substantial. Sometimes that's hard to refuse. Money talks, and the higher the amount of money offered, the harder it is for the seller to turn it down. If I had tried to bargain on the figurines one at a time, I would have probably left the shop empty handed.

Since I had spent over $5000 with the woman, she knew that I was a serious buyer. So, when I reached for the door she asked if I was interested in any other figurines. I thought that she was probably talking about Hummels or Lladros, but still I said “sure." The rule is not to ever stop a person from telling you of other things they have for sale, even if you have a doubt that there will be any interest.

The next thing that I knew she was locking up her shop, and we were headed to her home. Arriving at a rather modest home, I have to admit I wasn’t too excited. Walking through her living room, I did see some Early American furniture, but nothing that really caught my eye. Then we entered the family room and my eyes almost popped out of my head. There in front of me was one of the largest collections of Meissen figurines I had ever seen. I was looking at a good $100,000 worth of Meissen. I had to get a hold of myself because I didn't want to show the excitement I was feeling inside.

Looking over the collection and trying to conceal my unbelievable desire to purchase each every one of the pieces, I ask how many of the figurines were for sale. Her answer almost knocked me down. "All of them for the right price." I was like a child in a candy shop, but I had to control myself. I proceeded to pick the pieces that interested me most. I knew without a doubt I had selected over $20,000 worth of figurines at the price that I was willing to pay. I made the offer, and this time, without hesitation, she said that seems fair to me. You see, I had established credibility with her on the first trade. Now she accepted me as the expert.

I treated her fairly and purchase the pieces at a price that fit my standard rule for buying, so you know that this was one profitable day for me. There are many great lessons to be gleaned from this experience, but perhaps the greatest is that you must always keep your emotions under control when you are trying to make a purchase. Also, you must appear as the person who has all the facts at his fingertips.

Do you need college funds, retirement funds, or want a larger stash of cash for you lifestyle? The 31 Club uses a wealth building plan that can help you accumulate enough funds to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, collectibles, and fine art. Join the 31 Club. Learn about Art, Antiques & Collectibles. Learn How to Invest in Art, Antiques & Collectibles and build lifetime wealth. The plan is in my book. When you join today, you'll receive my 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles, FREE, plus MENTORING from me whenever call me. Or, order 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles and your membership is FREE and you still get mentoring. Either way, you're in. I know it sounds crazy to get all this for about $20, but I assure you, I'm offering this. If you've read this far, why not hop aboard.

"...I spent about 15 years in the antiques and collectible field
and I can tell you this is one of the best books you will ever
read about making money with art, antiques and collectibles."

-Skip McGrath, Auction Seller's Resources & EBay Powerweller

"It has been a great pleasure knowing Daryle for more than
10 years. I share his excitement in releasing this book. He is
a man of his word."
Riley Humler, Cincinnati Art Galleries
Consultant, Antique RoadShow

Want to read more about the 31 Club? Read an article here.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the
31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your item to us. No high fees when you sell with us.

Go to Our
Homepage.

Please leave a comments. If you don't want to sign in, just use the ANONYMOUS button. Chime in and participate!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Lambert

    When you said “I proceeded to pick the pieces that interested me most.”
    Am I correct in assuming you picked the pieces that you knew for certain their full market value based on experience and could therefore determine your 25% price point in your head?

    If a total newbie buyer such as I, found them selves in this same situation would it be appropriate to ask for some time on location and then whip out a Meissen price guide to evaluate which pieces they would want to purchase?

    Or would this alert the seller to my lack of knowledge and put them on the defensive?

    Would it be more appropriate to examine the pieces and then take some quick digital photos and ask for a return appointment after consulting my reference guides?

    Thank you for any insights on this subject

    Dave, from Excellent Gallery
    Great Blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave

    Very good questions. First it is always best to get an answer while your on ocation. But if this isn't possibly and you need time to do the research try to get the seller to promise that they will hold them for you until the next day. This way if their word is good you can get back to them with your bid and hopefully they will be honest enough to wait for you. This is better than making a mistake.

    God Bless

    Daryle

    ReplyDelete