Saturday, April 12, 2008

Daryle Lambert: 31 Club Newbie Scores Big with Art Market Find

31 Club Member discovered a painting by Texas Artist, Jim Rabby at an estate sale.


Yesterday I was deeply entrenched in thought about how to improve our club when the phone rang. A young man on the other end told me he was new to our 31 Club and was on his way to an estate sale. He wondered if I could give him some advise.

I tried all the standard words of wisdom I could gather up. He thanked me, and told me he’d call later. A short time later, the phone rang and it was the same young man. He was at the sale and told me that there was so much stuff there that it was overwhelming. He asked about a G. Harvey print for $2,000 and I said “I don't think so.“ Next he mentioned a small oil by Jim Rabby but he couldn't find anything about this artist. I turned to my computer, and it didn’t take long for me to locate the information I needed.

Jim Rabby is a contemporary Artist from Houston, Texas. I couldn't find him in Ask Art but as you are going to see that doesn't matter much. Every artist of value won't be found in the guides books or online resources such as Ask Art. I did find him by searching further on the internet. He has an interesting story I’ll give you a link to so you can sit back and enjoy his life as much as I did. Don’t be surprised if you shed a tear or two.

But back to the story. I then ask if he had purchased the painting and he told me he hadn’t, but at $45, he thought it was cheap. I told him to run back to the house. Not to walk, but run, and say a prayer that it will still be there. He called me again shortly after his run, to announce that the purchase was made, and the painting wasn’t quite as small as he originally thought. It seemed to be about 20 by 24 inches. This put it in the range of about $2,500 to $3,500 for one of Rabby’s works.

I wish all my students could start off with a first purchase like this one. Maybe that’s not possible, but it does show you that with support from the 31 Club, all the information you need is at your fingertips. Just give us a call and we’ll try our best to see that purchases like this will be yours. I can still hear him say how overwhelmed he was, yet his find was probably the golden ring at this sale.

Time and time again, I'll say that when you just get out there, fabulous things will happen. Believe it. Isn't it amazing that a new young member and avid reader of the 31 Club blog might just have completed the first four steps in his race to the million dollars by spotting this painting, while all the pros who went through that house passed by this great find. I’ve promised to help him place his painting in the proper venue and will keep you updated on the results.

Don’t just follow the daily Blog. Join with like-minded 31 Club Members. Turbo charge your treasure hunting. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to build a bank account to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

Visit our Website, here.



Link:

Jim Rabby

1 comment:

  1. WOW! As a fellow newbie I love these stories, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete