Thursday, April 10, 2008

Daryle Lambert Blog: Unexpected House and Estate Sale Treasures


When you go to house sale, where do you start? In the past, my suggestion would have been to start looking where the most valuable items were placed. Often this is in the living or dining rooms, but would I have been right?

How about the garage? Could this be the right place to start? Most of you know that the garage is where you run through after there is no other place left to look in the house, right? Well, you may have been wrong, and I may have been wrong, too.

Why didn't I see this before? It was right there before my eyes. Am I blind, or what?

Now I'm not taking about gardening or shop tools. But, what else could you find in a garage that might convince you that this is the place to look for treasure? It’s not automobiles, bicycles, sports equipment or fishing gear. But, is there anything else in that trash filled garage that the man of the house hasn't cleaned in years? They might be hanging on the wall in full view of everyone that enters the garage. Look closely, and you might see those little pieces of metal hanging there so neatly in rows. How about those old license plates? I’ve seen them at so many of the sales I’ve attended and never really gave them a thought.

Do me a big favor, and go to eBay and type in "license plate" in the search box. Then go to “completed items” and click for the results. Then arrange the listing to show from highest price to lowest. Can you believe it? I didn’t until I saw it with my own eyes.

I found a 1915 Tennessee license plate finishing at $17,119.15 with 30 bids. Closely followed by this was a 1933 inauguration D.C. Plate at $3,500. I had to go past 20 plates to find one that sold under $1,000 and a thousand plates to find one under $100. Does this make me sick? You bet it does because I can think back to the times I’ve been in garages and the walls were almost completely covered in license plates from before the second World War.

I BELIEVE I HAVE JUST ADDED THESE TO THE LIST OF ITEMS I WATCH FOR, AND MIGHT JUST HAVE COME ACROSS A NEW POSSIBLE COLLECTION IN MY FUTURE.

As a side bar -- I did complete my echo stress test yesterday, and even though my wife sometimes says I don't have a heart, I do. I’m waiting for the test results, but I think everything is going to be all right. It had been over four years since my last one, and the doctor thought it was about time to take another look. I ask you to keep me in your prayers and in God’s will.

Don’t just follow the daily Blog. Join with like-minded 31 Club Members. Turbo charge your treasure hunting. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to build a bank account to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

Visit our Website, here.

1 comment:

  1. HI, My prayers are with you. May God keep you well - We Need You! I'm sure He will know this already, but it never hurts to keep the prayers going!
    Also, When we are looking in the Garages of these sales keep your eyes open for old sprinklers - The figurals can go sky high! Check ebay for that too! Vicki H.

    ReplyDelete