Sunday, April 13, 2008

Daryle Lambert Blog: Valuable & Collectible Paper-Mache


Did you ever make paper-mache while you were a young school kid? I don't know about you, but this was always a favorite of mine. I liked it so much because I had absolutely no artistic talent, but with paper and glue it didn't matter. If you're like most parents, you might have paper-mache items at home that your children have made with great pride. I know I do.

But did you ever think that pieces like these could have value? This never occurred to me until I found a section in one of the guide books on paper-mache, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Most of this work is unmarked, but from what I have read, some fabulous artists used this medium to express themselves. The surprising thing about pricing paper-mache is that like most folk art, its beauty and value lies in the eye of the beholder.

It seems that this form of art came into its own in the 1800”s and was likely brought back into the country by soldiers and sailors. The best of these items usually combine other elements in their construction. This might give you a clue when you are in the field searching for these treasures. Pieces will often be decorated with mother of pearl, brass inlay and bamboo. The corners can be metal, and many of the most valuable pieces are lacquered inside and out. Many pieces have Victorian scenes or religious themes.

Boxes are much sought after by collectors, and a 13 inch box featuring three horses racing in carts is listed for $1,035. But this is just a start. A 6 inch 1880 egg, with one side showing the resurrection and the other side a view of the Kremlin might well bring you over $2,500. But I left the best for last. A tray stand, Regency, with black lacquer and Chinoiserie figures within a landscape is listed for $10,350.

This almost makes me want to pull out the old newspaper and glue and get busy. But seriously, I think that you'll agree that not many people will be out there looking for these pieces, but from what I can tell, there certainly is a ready market if the piece is exceptional.

If you'll go to a museum or antique show and examine this type of work and then examine the many Asian imports that have little value, you'll soon be able to distinguish between the valuable and the less expensive items.

Don’t just follow the daily Blog. Join with like-minded 31 Club Members. Turbo charge your treasure hunting. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to build a bank account to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

Visit our Website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment