Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Collectible Knives - Big Boy Toys

7-1/4" Randall 40's Vintage Hunting & Fighting Knife and HH Heiser Sheath sold recently on eBay for $6,607

Mumblepeg was a game played with a knife that I played when I was a little boy of nine or ten. Knives in hand, two boys faced each other and took turns throwing the knife, aiming to land its point in the ground close to his opponent’s foot. The opponent would then move his foot to touch the knife. The object was to stretch your friend until he couldn’t reach the knife. When you stretched your opponent further than he could stretch, you won. As the winner you got to take a stick, the size of a match stick, pound it into the ground with five blows of the knife and then watch your opponent dig it out of the ground with his teeth. There are several versions of the game, but that’s how we played it.

Why did my mind take me back to these wonderful days? I was looking at some knives the other day, and I began to wonder what value my childhood knives would have today. In my day, no little boy would’ve been caught dead with out his pocket knife. How would he have whittled or dug things out of the ground, or fought the bears like Daniel Boone?

I had a Hopalong Cassidy knife, and my friends had Superman, Roy Rogers, Dick Tracey and many others styles and types of knives. I'm so glad to have grown up in the times I did. Today, I wonder if a father could even start a knife collection for his son and avoid ending up staring into the face of a judge after the authorities received an anonymous tip from a well intentioned neighbor.

But, big boys can still have their toys, and if you find any of these knives from yesteryear, you’ve found something of value to many collectors. And that means money to add to your growing stash of cash.

A search on eBay completed knife listings might just cause you to gasp when you see the results. You’ll find single items selling for thousands of dollars. It looks like the knife collectors are a hardy bunch and take their knife collecting quite seriously. I hadn’t realized there were so many famous makes of knives like Randall.

It will do you well to recognize some of the better knife makers, ( hint, hint) as these often turn up in box lots at local auctions. And, if you remember from a previous blog where I discussed box lots, you’ll know that it’s usually best to buy the whole box. There might be some great surprises in it and you’ll have purchased what you want a lot cheaper than if you purchased items individually.

Don’t just follow the daily Blog. Join with like-minded 31 Club Members. Turbo charge your treasure hunting skills. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to build a bank account to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

Visit our Website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment