Friday, April 4, 2008

Box Lots at Auctions, Garage Sales & Estate Sales


Do you like surprises? This is the season when you can strike some good cash by looking into every box you see at estate sales, garage sales, yard sales and auctions. Many times, I have found real treasure in boxes when others passed them by as trash.

Unless the value of something is obvious, many people at auctions, house sales, and most often, at garage sales, fail to examine things that are in these box lots. I have learned a very important lesson by understanding that many times, when auction houses or homeowners are preparing a sale, anything that they don't recognize as valuable goes in a box, along with other items perceived to be of little value.

Remember what I've told you before -- that the knowledge we need comes to us by layering knowledge of one item upon the other. By studying, researching and experiencing this for ourselves. Now, think about the average person and about how much knowledge in the Antique and Collectibles field we might expect them to have. I think you'll agree most average people will have very limited knowledge at best. So, understand this, and look under every table, inside every box, and under every item in every box at every sale.

I have known people who found books worth thousands of dollars in boxes stuffed in a corner. They've found Indian Artifacts they've been able to sell for up to $10,000 that they purchased along with a box of miscellaneous items. The best I've seen was a purchase made by a friend of mine at a local auction I also attended. He came to me, shaking all over, after he had purchased a box lot of letters. We went to a corner of the room and he began to thumb through the letters, showing me the signatures. Each one was a personal letter written by Martin Luther King. Can you imagine what they are worth today? After a box lot is sold at an auction, it amuses me when I hear someone say, "Can you believe that brought $75? It was a bunch of junk." All the time the purchaser can barely contain their excitement over this find.

Cindy and I attended a sale last week and bought a few box lots. In one lot, there were several Mercury Candles plus a host of other things. When I got home, I checked the candles and realized that they should bring from $50 to $100. The whole box cost us $10, so there is a very good chance that the contents of the box could approach $200 to $300. I have said that we want to be buying the better things, but if you can accumulate enough items at one place to take you closer to the next step in your race to the one million dollars, don't hesitate to do it. Just don't make buying a host of small items your priority. However, money is money, and in some cases, it might take several items to get you to your next step.

Let's say your account is up to $50,000. You might have to spend $25,000 for one item, two items at $10,000 and then $1,000 on five more items to have spent it all. That is perfectly okay. You see, if you aren't successful at selling these items at retail or near retail and have to wholesale them at twice what you paid, the total will still be $100,000. And that will be another step toward your goal accomplished. But, what if there is a special piece among your purchases? The final total could take you past several steps. This is what I experienced when I purchased the Frederick Morgan painting for $16,000 and sold it for $115,000.

I'm eager to hear from more of our participants about their progress. Have you saddled up? Then, I want to hear from you, as do our other members.

Don’t just follow the daily Blog. Join with like-minded 31 Club Members. Turbo charge your treasure hunting. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to build a bank account to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

Visit our Website, here.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I went to an auction last night and boy did I have fun! I got a box lot of old flatware, most people passed them up because the stuff on the top was silverplate. I saw one large Victorian Ladle that was marked Sterling, and didn't look a lot more, not wanting to draw to much attention to it. I got the whole lot for $32.50 - More than half of what was in that box was antique Sterling silver! I also bought a very old Persion rug. I don't know much about them, but I knew this one was old and in excellent condition. I got for $225. I plan on putting that one in a high end auction. I'll let you know how I do on it! This is so much fun! Hope everyone is finding great stuff! Vicki H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go. Isn't this fun? Like I've said so many time this is like a Treasure Hunt but there is another one every day.

    God Bless

    Daryle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki,

    Great Score!!

    Here's a link to an auction I'll be attending on Sunday, see anything juicy??

    Bostwick Auctions & Gallery

    OK, here's my "found in a box" story.

    Fall 2006, I went to a sale that was held at an old nursery with all the stuff layer out in 3 different greenhouses on long tables with boxes below the tables.

    A gentleman had just put down a box and as I reached down to pick it up he said," Nothing in there but a bunch of old door knobs with paint one’s and some rusty pieces of metal"

    So I pick up the box and inside were close to 100 door knobs that somebody painted white, along with lock sets and door plates.

    I could see they were the old porcelain style, but I figured they were all white, but since there were so many I figured I'd put together sets of 6-8 and make a tidy profit.

    I paid $25, got home and set the box in my shop and forgot about them, later that next week, I remembered the box and took out a doorknob and started removing the paint as I did I realized this wasn't a plain white or black porcelain doorknob, but a Bennington glaze stoneware door knob!

    I felt a little twinge of excitement, and reached in and pulled out another one and started removing the paint...another Bennington glaze stoneware doorknob!!

    Well to make a long story short, 3 hrs. later I had removed white paint from close to 100 Bennington glaze stoneware doorknobs.

    In addition all the locksets & doorplates were easily cleaned seeing how the were all BRASS and just BEAUTIFUL!

    I sold the whole lot for almost $3500 to a local builder who rehabs Victorian homes, he saw my best offer ad in the paper.

    Here's some pics of what they looked like....

    ==> Pic 1

    ==> Pic 2

    ==> Pic 3

    ==> Pic 4

    Remember... One man's trash is another man's treasure"

    Good Luck Everybody!
    My Weekly Auctions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including the pics. It adds another layer of learning into the blog!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Stephan, I have bought and sold quite a bit of old Bennington, but I've never seen a doorknob in my life! Thanks so much for the info and the pics!
    Vicki H.

    ReplyDelete