Saturday, February 23, 2008

Daryle Lambert: New Adventures in Antiques & Collectibles Begin with the First Step



For several days last week, I’d been in Kentucky. What a great thing this Internet is. I could be away anywhere and still be able to keep in touch with you. Many of you know I am originally from Kentucky, and being there brought back so many memories. Naturally, a whole host of new stories have come to mind from this last visit. I recalled the days when I traveled around the country in search of great and rare treasure in an old orange bus.

In fact, on one trip, I am sure I was looking like Fred Sanford and Son with my bus all loaded down with furniture and other small items, when I ran out of gas in the middle of the night way out there deep in the country. All farmers have guns, and they will use them if they're not expecting visitors, so you can probably understand my hesitation in knocking on a farmer's door at that hour. But I did. And I survived. The best thing I can share with you from this experience is to fill up on long trips and make sure you have extra gas!

I also passed the spot where my wife, Vickie, and I once had an antique shop loaded with items. The shop covered over 5,000 square feet, full from floor to ceiling. I walked into the shop one day and announced to Vickie that we were moving to Chicago. With a surprised look on her face, she asked, "What are we going to do with all this stuff?"

"Sell it, of course," I replied. "And I have a plan."

Not to be outdone, she exclaimed, "Well, Daryle Lambert, you better have one!"

My plan was to call dealer friends of mine in the three surrounding states and tell them to bring their big trucks. I would guarantee them that I would fill each truck with items they would like, at a prices that they wouldn't argue over. They did, and I did. Within two weeks, I had totally emptied our store from wall to wall. I even sold the shelving along with my "open for business" sign and my orange bus.

It appeared as if Vickie and I had transformed ourselves from resembling Fred Sanford and Son to Jed Clampett and his family as we loaded up the truck and moved to Chicago, rather than to Beverly. Hills that is. Pulling our borrowed truck with a U-haul trailer attached, we must have been quite the sight. The only thing we lacked was Granny sitting atop the truck in her rocking chair.

Our memories were terrific, and I will always treasure those times. But I'm glad I unburdened myself from having a shop full of common items and the responsibilities that go along with running a shop. I took the money I made on that sale and spent the time locating and purchasing higher end, more rare items. Now I only make a handful of transactions every year of the finest items. It's just a new phase of my life, and an exciting one at that.

We can hold our memories dear, even though we move on to a new adventure. Vickie and I had some wonderful times, like the time we attended an auction in Henderson, Kentucky.

Herron Auction was the auction house, and they usually conducted estate auctions, but this one was an estate that hey had contracted to sell. Most of those in attendance were locals who were looking for a way to spend some enjoyable time out on a Saturday evening or to find something interesting to decorate their homes with. Few people there were looking to purchase quality antiques & collectibles.

As Vickie and I began to preview the sale, to my amazement I began to find some of the best items I had ever seen at auction in many years. There before me was wonderful Art Glass, Antique Dolls, Toys and even some fantastic Primitives.

We took our seats and waited with great anticipation for the auction to start. From the very first item that went up for auction, I almost always kept my hand in the air. It got so bad that a clerk from the auction house came over to me and ask how I was going to pay for my purchases. I told her any way she would like. However, I totally understood why they were concerned. They didn't know me. This was the first time I had ever attended one of their auctions.

At the conclusion of the sale, I sent a truck over to pick up everything I had bought. Today, that had been one of the most profitable ventures I've had. I specifically remember a French Doll I purchased for $200 and sold for $2,000 several months later.

Today it's not necessary to buy common items in quantity to make a good profit. In today's market, the more rare the item, the faster it sells and the more money you make, provided it's bought wisely. With a quick turnaround time, you'll be able to keep your money in circulation, making you more money. Trading up each time, you'll be able to amass more money without a lot of busywork and without the huge time commitment it takes to keep more common items around.

This is the 21st Century way. The way members of the 31 Club are learning to work. Members who have very little experience in antiques and collectibles to seasoned professionals who recognize the need to work differently these days. Why not join a community of like-minded people to converse with, learn from, share ideas and stories.

Wondering whatever happened to the truck that Jed Clampett's family, "The Beverly Hillbilies" made famous? The producer of the show placed it on permanent display at the Ralph Forest Museum, which is on the campus of the College of the Ozarks located in Point Lookout, Missouri. This is close to Branson, Missouri. You can read more about that truck here.

We use a wealth building plan that can help you accumulate enough funds to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, collectibles, and fine art. Join the 31 Club. Learn about Antiques & Collectibles. Learn How to Invest in Antiques & Collectibles. When you join today, you'll receive my 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles, FREE.

"...I spent about 15 years in the antiques and collectible field
and I can tell you this is one of the best books you will ever
read about making money with art, antiques and collectibles."

-Skip McGrath, Auction Seller's Resources & EBay Powerweller

"It has been a great pleasure knowing Daryle for more than
10 years. I share his excitement in releasing this book. He is
a man of his word."
Riley Humler, Cincinnati Art Galleries
Consultant, Antique RoadShow

Want to read more about the 31 Club? Read an article here.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the
31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your item to us. No high fees when you sell with us.

Go to Our
Homepage.

Please leave a comments. If you don't want to sign in, just use the ANONYMOUS button. Chime in and participate!

2 comments:

  1. What a great article! It was a delight to read a post to do with antiques where the writer actually writes about incorporating "Old School" methods and creativity to get the job done.

    I plan to visit this blog often.

    I'm an auctioneer and often tout the mantra of the "picker" on my antiques /auction blog at
    http://auctionwally.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. My media director will be contacting you and I hope there are same things we can do together.

    God Bless

    Daryle

    ReplyDelete