Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Daryle Lambert: Indian Artifacts - Points and Blades from Antiquity


As you know probably know by now, I'm not one to sit around too long without trying to learn something new. And so, when I was visiting in Kentucky over the long Christmas holiday, there were only so many hours I could spend joining in on small talk about shopping and watching TV. I knew right when it was time for me to go on a field trip, so I soon headed out with my wife, Vickie, and my son, Joshua to meet up with my two other children, Dana and Lawson. Lawson brought his new bride, and so the six of us squeezed into a small sedan and headed out for a day in the country.

Our first stop was to the farm where I spent so many great days with my grandparents. I've written about some of those times in previous blogs, so I know you are aware of how special those days are in my memory. As we traveled down the roads, I pointed out to Joshua all the of places where there had been a particular milestone or memory in my life -- where I killed my first rabbit, the old family plot on the hill, and the pond where I caught that really big fish that should have been entered into the record books but somehow escaped notice.

Further down the roads, and after I shared most of the old war stories, we were approaching my Uncle's farm. I caught sight of a young man walking through the plowed field. I told Lawson to pull the car over, and then bet everyone that I already knew what this young man was doing there wandering the field. They all laughed, and then I asked them to follow me out into my Uncle's field. They looked suspiciously at me, but followed anyway.

I know the young man was wondering what I might call him on, and as I walked a bit ahead of the rest of my group, I called out to him saying, "I bet I can tell you what you're doing out here."

He smiled, relieved, and replied, "What am I doing?"

"You're looking for arrowheads, aren't you?" He was surprised I knew. I told him that in this same place, as a boy, I would patiently wait until the workers had finished plowing the fields on my Uncle's farm. Once they were gone, I would dash out into the fields with my gallon bucket and pick up arrowheads until my bucket overflowed. "Did you find anything good, " I asked him? He smiled and showed me one arrowhead, and then told me that he frequently came out here to look for Indian Artifacts, and had look all up and down the Ohio River banks. Although he was college age, turned out he was already an advanced collector.

Today I wish that I still had all the arrowheads I found back then. Their value could be considerable. If you want to know more about Indian Artifacts, the book I told you about yesterday, North American Indian Artifacts, by Lar Hothem, is not only good for learning about pots, but it also covers a variety of other artifacts. Click here for additional listings of books.

An eastern U.S. Lost Lake Sunfish Blade, from 9000-7500 B.C. had a value of $4,000 in 1998. I wonder what it would be now. An early Archaic Lost Lake Sunfish Blade, only 4-1/2 " long found in Kentucky was valued in 1998 at $6,000. Check out the book for yourself.

Today, those very fields I roamed so many years ago are still filled with treasures. It's just not possible for me to find the words to properly tell you what it feels like the first time you find an arrowhead in a farmers field that you know had been there since before the time of Christ. -- Daryle

There are a couple things to be aware of when dealing with Indian Artifacts. First, beware that fakes are being made to this day. Look at as many of the real ones as you can, and even after that -- consult an expert if you still have questions. Second, there are laws in place regarding Indian Artifacts, and you should become familiar with them before you become involved. Please look at these two sites for further information: Safely Collecting Indian Artifacts, Contemporary Issues about Native American Art.

Discover how our book can be the tool that helps you build more personal wealth than you might have thought possible. And doing it in the Antiques, Collectibles, and Fine Art Markets rather than the traditional methods. You won't find these kind of results with your bank or your stock broker!

Read more about The Million Dollar Challenge members are participating in.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the 31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your item to us. No high fees when you sell with us. Contact us here.

If you wish to leave comments use the ANONYMOUS button and then you don't have to sign in to leave your message. Chime in and participate with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment