Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Rose Medallion Porcelain - An Antique Chinese Import


Many items were imported to the U.S. from China during the 19th and 20th centuries. Rose Medallion china was one of these imports. This very colorful china was a real hit in the U.S., and today, you might find pieces at almost every sale you attend. In fact, I’ve found many great pieces at garage sales and was able to pick them up very inexpensively.

Once you are familiar with these very distinctive Rose Medallion patterns, they can be spotted a mile away. Almost every piece of Rose Medallion will have from four or more panels that are decorated around a central medallion. This medallion is either a bird or peony, and the panels evolve from this medallion. The panels show birds and people in a background decorated with trees of peonies and leaves. The colors are what gives its origin away. They include greens, pinks, and many other colors that appear to be almost pastel.

The great thing about this china is most people lump it all together as almost worthless china. By now, you should know that this works to our advantage. Also adding to our advantage when searching for Rose Medallion, is that it’s usually unmarked. Because it wasn't usually used for serving, the pieces can often be in mint condition and have very little wear on their bottoms. This is unusual for items that might be over one hundred years old. The variety of this china is limitless. You will find Baskets, Bowls, Candlesticks, Chargers, Garden Seats, Punch Bowls, Tureens and Vases. Always ask the seller if they’ll take less for this china because it is considered by most to be of little value. I have found it very easy to negotiate a price to my liking.

This is a subject where you’ll want to do a little research. You might start by going to eBay’s completed auctions, searching under “Rose Medallion Porcelain,” and then trying another word combination, like “rose medallion” or “rose medallion china.” I have found that you can come up with different items by the word combinations you use. I’ve suggested many times to search eBay, and the reasons why you might do this. First, to familiarize yourself with the different pieces and second, to see actual prices achieved at auction for the better pieces. Here’s sample from eBay: A Pair of Sauce Bowls $2500, Two Vases $1400, Wash Basin $1300, Platter $750 and a Bowl $700. Not bad for what most put little value on. Once you’ve searched eBay, do a search with a search engine, or even try searching by image.

I once went to visit a woman with many items to sell from her home, told me her father had spent many years in the Orient. I purchased almost everything she had for sale. It took every spare inch of my truck to haul away all the goodies. This is the same home where I purchased a large oriental urn, written about in my book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques and Collectibles.

I called a dealer friend of mine as soon as I returned home from her house, and he arrived to look at my treasures. He hardly keep his eyes off the large urn I purchased. He asked me for a price on the urn, and continued to ask me for a price on the urn. Finally out of frustration I said $2,500 and he said “Sold.” No one had to tell me that I just made a tremendous mistake, but it was too late. Yes, I only paid a few hundred dollars for it, but that isn’t a good excuse. I broke my own rule about not selling anything until I had researched it.

It was from this woman’s house that I also purchased some Rose Medallion. I probably spent $500 on pieces of this china. I was just guessing that it was old, but it did pay off for me. To the best of my recollection, those pieces brought me back over $7,500.

As you can see, I bought it all. If you ask that woman today if she was satisfied with the prices she received, the answer would be yes. That’s the way I like to do business.

Join with like-minded 31 Club Members and put a turbo charge on your treasure hunting skills. Get FREE Mentoring. Learn Inside the Industry Secrets. Learn to make high profits and continue to grow your money buying and selling antiques, fine art, and collectibles. My 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles is FREE with your membership. The book is also available on Amazon.com. If you buy the book on Amazon, then the membership is FREE.

LINK:
eBay Completed Sales Page

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog today! Please do more on Asian antiques as they are very difficult to understand. Is there a good refrence book that you can recommend to us? Best Wishes, Vicki H.

    ReplyDelete