Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Seeing Opportunities Others Miss - Paper Money


How times have changed since I started collecting money as a child. In my book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques and Collectibles, I tell about how I would go to the bank and purchase rolls of coins, take them home then, sort them so that I could keep the silver ones and any rare copper pennies for my collection. After doing this, I returned the others to the bank and exchanged them for more rolls. I did this for several years.

When I enrolled in college, I was able to pay for my education by selling off my coin collection. Not only did this make my parents very happy, it also taught me the discipline that has served me well for most of my business career.

Jump ahead about forty-five years, this opportunity to do as I did is no longer available to young collectors, because all the silver coins became clad ones. That means the dimes, quarters and half dollars now are copper coins with a thin silver coating over the top and bottom. Back when I collected, all the coins were solid silver or copper. The clad coins resulted in coins that had little metal value. Additionally, as years passed, the mints began to produce more of each type of coin, so there were very few rare coins to be collected.

Today, if you tried to collect coins as I did, all your work would probably be in vain. But, there still might be a way to use the same principle, only with paper money. Most paper bills have a short life, because they wear out rather quickly, especially one dollar bills. But how about fives, tens, twenties, fifties and hundreds? These bills get less wear because they are larger denominations. Therefore, they last longer, and your chances of finding a rare bill among them will be greater than with the one dollar bills.

I have seen hundred dollar bills selling at action for close to two hundred dollars and tens selling for twenty five dollars or more. If you go to the bank buy several bills and find a rather rare bill, you can pull it out to sell and return the rest to the bank to start the process all over again.

In this business you have to be adaptable and be able to see opportunities that others miss. Today it’s called thinking outside the box. When I was a kid, out in the country I noticed that there were trails from the fields leading to the barn. These were areas where all the grass was worn away. I wondered why? So I sat and watched as the cows came to the barn in the evening. I saw all the cows get in a straight line and took note that the first to the barn got most of the feed. I decided then that I would always set my own course and not let others set it for me. I decided I would not follow any pack. When I arrived where the food was, I wanted to be the first to feast on the first fruits, not the leftovers. Don’t be like the cow in the herd that just follows the leader. I want our members to be leaders, not followers. By providing them the best information possible to obtain anywhere, I think their success will be assured.

Do you need college funds, retirement funds, or want a larger stash of cash for you lifestyle? The 31 Club uses a wealth building plan that can help you accumulate enough funds to last a lifetime, buying and selling antiques, collectibles, and fine art. Join the 31 Club. Learn about Art, Antiques & Collectibles. Learn How to Invest in Art, Antiques & Collectibles and build lifetime wealth. The plan is in my book. When you join today, you'll receive my 220 page book, 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles, FREE, plus MENTORING from me whenever call me. Or, order 31 Steps to Your Millions in Antiques & Collectibles and your membership is FREE and you still get mentoring. Either way, you're in. I know it sounds crazy to get all this for about $20, but I assure you, I'm offering this. If you've read this far, why not hop aboard.

"...I spent about 15 years in the antiques and collectible field
and I can tell you this is one of the best books you will ever
read about making money with art, antiques and collectibles."

-Skip McGrath, Auction Seller's Resources & EBay Powerweller

"It has been a great pleasure knowing Daryle for more than
10 years. I share his excitement in releasing this book. He is
a man of his word."
Riley Humler, Cincinnati Art Galleries
Consultant, Antique RoadShow

Want to read more about the 31 Club? Read an article here.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see what we've got listed in the
31 Gallery & Marketplace, click on over and take a look. You might even find a real bargain. We've got many high quality items priced reasonably. If you have a high quality piece you'd like us to find a buyer for, why not consign your item to us. No high fees when you sell with us.

Go to Our
Homepage.

Please leave a comments. If you don't want to sign in, just use the ANONYMOUS button. Chime in and participate!



No comments:

Post a Comment